Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

ticket raised

Structuring Shopping Experience

8 replies to this topic

#1 douglamunyon

douglamunyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationCortez, Colorado

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Before getting into this forum topic, I have one request. I have watched, and appreciate, the tutorial videos you have provided. The one request I have is a video that explains the Exchange shopping experience from the shopper's perspective. Store --> Product --> Cart --> Check Out.

Please bear with me and my long post...

I'm testing the Exchange shopping structure and have had several confused testers. The button names, site registration process/account page and Stripe check out experience are a little unique.

http://littleleague.dmlwsdev.com/product/team-sponsor/ (We aren't showing a store page, and the product pages are only going to be shown after the user finishes completing a Gravity Form.)

I think much of the confusion comes from keeping the shoppers on the same product page for checkout. While convenient and quick, it is unusual. If I were shopping in and Exchange store, I would want some explanation while moving through the process. After clicking on the button to buy a product, the new 'content'(the product cart?) opens on the same page but doesn't explain what happened or what will happen next. Finally, I would need some sort of message telling me that the checkout window that opens (for Stripe) is a secure connection and reassurance of how safe the credit card information will be.

Anyways... I will list the 'typical' shopping experience and hope you could insert your comments and instructions on how/if Exchange is meant for these scenarios.

1. Shopper is looking at product page and expects 'Add To Cart' button.
2. After 'Add To Cart', shopper is directed to Cart page with 'Continue Shopping' or 'Check Out' options.
3. Before choosing 'Check Out, shopper must create account.
4. After creating account, shopper can now 'Check Out'.
5. After choosing 'Check Out', shopper is sent to page to collect billing address and credit card information.
6. After submitting billing information, shopper verifies the order and billing information and then completes the transaction.

Confirmation Page:
- If the product does not need shipping, can the Shipping Address be hidden?

Account Page:
- I'm not selling Downloads but it is available in the account page.

Notification Emails:
- Can these emails show different content depending on which type of product is purchased?

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,699 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hey Doug,

Hopefully I can clear up any confusion you're having, though I'm not quite sure where the confusion lies.  The Exchange checkout process is very similar to any other you'd encounter.  It just remains on the product page (unless the customer chooses to View Cart).  You said you had testers that were confused; can you tell us specifically what confused them?  And you can always customize the purchase buttons and pages to better suit your needs.  

1. Shopper is looking at product page and expects 'Add To Cart' button.

There is an Add to Cart option, you just need to go into Exchange > Add-ons and enable the Multi-item Cart add-on.  Then they'll see both the Buy Now and Add to Cart buttons and have the option to buy the item immediately or add it to their cart and continue shopping.  

2. After 'Add To Cart', shopper is directed to Cart page with 'Continue Shopping' or 'Check Out' options.

Once they add it to the cart, they have the option to view their cart or go ahead and purchase.  This is actually pretty common.  There isn't a reason to be take to the cart page unless you plan on purchasing immediately.  If you're going to continue shopping, it's just one more page you have to back out of.  Take Best Buy, for example.  I click the button to add an item to my cart, a window opens and I can either close that window to continue shopping or move on to view my cart.  Even Wal-Mart is the same, a window is opened when I add the product to my cart, I'm not taken to a new page.  Same with Target and Bed Bath and Beyond.  

I'm not trying to overwhelm you with examples!  :)  I just want you to see that it's not so abnormal.  

3. Before choosing 'Check Out, shopper must create account.

This is the same in Exchange.  The customer clicks the button to purchase and they can either register, log in or (if you have it enabled) chose the Guest Checkout option.

4. After creating account, shopper can now 'Check Out'.

Because they've already created their account and have already hit the purchase button, they don't need to do so again.  Exchange will go ahead and ask for their Billing Information.

5. After choosing 'Check Out', shopper is sent to page to collect billing address and credit card information.

See previous answer

6. After submitting billing information, shopper verifies the order and billing information and then completes the transaction.

This is the same in Exchange.  Once they've entered their billing information, they'll have the opportunity to edit it prior to entering their credit card information (or going to PayPal, pay by check, etc.).  

So you see that the Exchange process isn't really any different than the "typical" checkout process.  Our goal is to make Exchange as user friendly as possible, both for the store owner and their customers.  

There isn't an option to hide the Shipping Address if one wasn't needed/provided.  If you want to remove it completely, however, you can go into /lib/templates/content-confirmation/loops/ and copy the transaction-meta.php file.  In that file, you'll see the following code:

<?php foreach( it_exchange_get_template_part_elements( 'content_confirmation', 'address_meta', array( 'billing-address', 'shipping-address' ) ) as $meta ) : ?>

You'll want to remove the 'shipping-address' portion, so it looks like this:

<?php foreach( it_exchange_get_template_part_elements( 'content_confirmation', 'address_meta', array( 'billing-address' ) ) as $meta ) : ?>

Then, in your theme you'll create the directory exchange/content-confirmation/loops/ and upload the file with your changes there.  Now the Shipping Address won't show on the confirmation page.  

You don't have to be selling Digital Downloads to have downloads.  If you are selling Memberships, there is an option to add a download file.  Same with the Simple Products product type.  

There is only one email receipt and sale notification email, so the emails won't vary based on product type.  I can add this as a feature request, but I don't have a timeline for if/when it would be added.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 douglamunyon

douglamunyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for sticking with me through my learning curve. Please accept my perspective as a chance for me to grow as a iThemes' customer, and for you to continue polishing your terrific products.

After I found this post about the filter to remove the 'Buy Now' button, things are coming together.
http://ithemes.com/forum/topic/55845-remove-buy-it-now-functionality/page__hl__+hide%20+buy%20+now#entry236390

Now I am sticking with the 'Add To Cart' method and having shoppers make an account.

re: account registration page/form

When the shopper chooses to check out, the fields for registering appear. This new form area has no text explaining what is going on. Ex. Please fill out this information to register your account and complete the checkout process (or something much more poetic). I feel like shoppers need the reassurance that they are doing things right. If they choose checkout, and a bunch of form fields show up, I would anticipate some panic from low-tech users.

From the development aspect, it gets a bit challenging to try to mold templates for specific projects when there are so many 'moving parts'. For instance, if I want to modify things in the registration area, do I go to the template file, an element, or one of the loops? That is twelve php files that make up one form. But wait. I want to separate the register and log in buttons and add some text in that area. I can't find that part in any of those twelve files so that I can customize it.

Billing Address

I left a field blank in the super widget billing address area. After the page refreshed telling me of my error, the automatic state selection field would no longer work.

Checkout Page

It appears the checkout page template somehow pulls in the Stripe checkout button. I feel like the shopper needs some text in this area to let them know that the window that opens up is a secure connection. I realize it is in the shaded area on the outside of the credit card information. It just seems like being proactive with communicating regarding security is important. While on the subject, where would I find the template to customize what the Stripe window looks like?

Thanks again,
Doug

#4 douglamunyon

douglamunyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

Still a problem...

Billing Address

I accidentally left a field blank in the super widget billing address area. After the page refreshed telling me of my error, the automatic state selection field would no longer work and exchange keeps telling me I'm leaving something out.

I tried to start the process over, but when I got to the product page it did not show the choices for 'add to cart' and 'checkout' at all.

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Hey Doug,

I'll pass this along to the developers so they can take a look.  Just to verify, when you go into any product after this happens, do you see the buttons?  Or is it just on that one product you don't see them after the error?  And does this happen if you leave the box empty on any product or just that one?  

Let me know and I'll pass it along!

Thanks,

Elise

#6 douglamunyon

douglamunyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

It has happened with all products. I was just testing checkout on Chrome and the state field did not work at all (from the get go).

#7 douglamunyon

douglamunyon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

Quoting my client when they tried out the site:

Trying to register a tball player. I’m still running into issues. I’ve gotten to the billing address. When I put the address in, it keeps dropping out the State information (I’ve tried putting in CO and Colorado both) and then it empties all the boxes and asks me to fill it out completely again.

#8 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hi Doug,

I've reported this issue to the developers so that they can take a look at it.  As soon I have an update for you, I'll let you know.  

Thanks,

Elise

#9 trundlemedia

trundlemedia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hi there, I just wanted to confirm this bug.. While testing purchases I was filling out the shipping address

1st time I went through and submitted and it told me I forgot to enter the state, which I thought was weird but possibly my mistake

2nd time I typed much slower and watched it, and the field actually cleared itself while I was halfway through typing the word

I clicked out of the field and then back in, and then it allowed me to fill in the full word

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ticket raised

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users