Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Need Ssl Advice For Hosting 25 Wp Sites On A Hostgator Vps

Hostgator SSL hosting VPS

2 replies to this topic

#1 pauloyler

pauloyler

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, BackupBuddy, Sync
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I host 25 clients WordPress sites on a VPS server from HostGator. I'm not sure, but I think it is important to note for this question that NONE of the sites are ecommerce sites.

I recently started getting emails from Hostgator every day, telling me the following:
The SSL certificate for dovecot on mydomain.com will expire in less than 30 days
The SSL certificate for cpanel on mydomain.com will expire in less than 30 days.
The SSL certificate for ftp on mydomain.com will expire in less than 30 days.
The SSL certificate for exim on mydomain.com will expire in less than 30 days.

Now I freely admit I don't really understand much about SSL, and so I don't know what all this means. I have submitted a help ticket to hostgator, and they are telling me I need to get something called a "multi-domain SSL. A multi-domain SSL up front offers encryption for three domains for $150, each domain you add onto that is 25$ extra,"

So if I'm understanding that correctly, I'd have to pay $150 (which would cover my own 3 sites), plus $25 for each of my 25 client's sites, or a total of $775.

I've never had to pay this sort of thing in the past, so I'm confused about what has changed now and what I really need to do. If that is legitimate, then I don't mind paying it, but since I am clueless, I am hoping maybe somebody that actually understands this kind of stuff can offer me some advice. I don't want to spend money that I don't need to, but I also don't want to not spend and have it come back to haunt me and hurt my clients.

Thank you anyone for any advice at all.

Grace and Peace,
Paul

#2 bensite5

bensite5

Hosting Expert

• Moderators
  • 54 posts
  • LocationInternet :)

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

That is very odd, have you used a SSL in the past on any sites? If you haven't you most likely have nothing to worry about.

Kinda sounds like a bug in their system given the generic domain name in the message, unless you subbed that in to show the forum?

#3 Guest_Jack_*

Guest_Jack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

As you explained in your thread, none of those sites are ecommerce website right? if is it so and if you are not collection personal and confidential information from visitors of those websites, you really don't need an SSL certificate on any of these website.

Just go to your hosting provider and discuss the matter as it is not compulsory!

One important point to note:

It is also not necessary to buy an SSL from hosting providers as you can really save big when you buy same certificate from their authorized resellers like clickssl, trustico, servertastic, ssls, ssl2buy etc. After reviewing the price of multi domain SSL in your post, i did small research on Google to compare the price of these resellers. You will amazed to see the huge price difference explained below:

See this page of ssl2buy: https://www.ssl2buy.com/comodo-multi-domain-ssl.php which offer mutli domain SSL at $60 (which can protect 4 domains and addition will cost $15). Now see the price of same certificate at comodo website: http://ssl.comodo.com/unified-communications-uc-ssl-certificates.php which sell same product at $235 and additional san cost $35 !

I am sure my reply will not only save your money but also help other readers of this forums to save some extra dollars.

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the WordPress Hosting Questions forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hostgator, SSL, hosting, VPS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users