Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Question About Restorations Before Purchasing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Danielle_*

Guest_Danielle_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hi,

I tend to break Wordpress sites sometimes when I am developing. After reading through the codex, I believe this is the way I would restore a site if I cannot access my dashboard: http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy_Restore/Migrate:_Introduction#Restoring_an_Entire_Site

Is this correct?

And if so, can you download ImportBuddy.php at any time to associate it with any existing backup, or is it something that comes in pairs with a particular backup?

I just want to make sure I will be able to do a restore if I cannot access the dashboard or plugin.

Also, would I need to delete all of my Wordpress files from the FTP directory if I am doing a manual restore?

Thanks.

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hi Danielle

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

Yes, that is the process for a restore (and a migration to a different server with or without a change of url is basically the same).

For a restore you would generally want to remove all previous files/directories related to the site otherwise the result is indeterminate because you may end up with files from both the backup and the installation you are replacing (for example, if the unzip couldn't replace an existing file because of ownership/permissions issues or there is an existing file that wasn't present when the backup was taken then it wouldn't be deleted by the unzip) - so all in all best to start with a clean slate. Of course you can leave other non-conflicting files/directories in place that may be in the installation directory but not necessarily directly related to the site and not included in the WordPress site backup. Same hold for a migration as well - best to start with a clean slate.

For the database, you can restore/migrate into an existing database provided you choose a new unique table prefix or delete any conflicting tables before you start the process (or elect to have importbuddy do it for you during the process). Alternatively you can restore/migrate into a completely new database which is often simpler and safer.

importbuddy is neither backup nor site specific and so you can use a copy of importbuddy downloaded from any site you have to restore/migrate any backup. One caveat is that it is recommended to use a copy of importbuddy downloaded from a version of BackupBuddy that is no older than the version of BackupBuddy that was used to make the backup - but it is not essential provided the importbuddy is not too old. Best approach is to download a new copy of importbuddy from the first site you update to a new version of BackupBuddy and keep a history of importbuddy versions, then you will always have one to hand.

Also, a copy of importbuddy will be embedded in every Complete backup (not database only backups) provided you have selected that option and have defined a password for importbuddy. This way even if you have a Complete backup and no importbuddy to hand you can unzip the backup and grab a copy out of it (but of course make sure you can remember the password - one approach here is to define a password that is derived from the site url in a way that you can easily remember).

So we try and give you as much flexibility as possible so provided you take the necessary steps you will never be without a usable copy of importbuddy to be able to restore with your backup.

I hope the above information provides what you need but of course please let us know if you have any additional question or clarification required in this respect, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Danielle_*

Guest_Danielle_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thank you, one last question.

If I Buy BUB 10 site version, and later want the unlimited site version, does that count for an upgrade discount? Or is that only with bundles/plugin packs.

#4 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hey Danielle,

That would count as an upgrade as well.  You can read more about our upgrade policy here:  http://ithemes.com/upgrade-policy/

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Thanks,

Elise