Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

information

Epub Download Issue

Downloads

8 replies to this topic

#1 lukemcelroy

lukemcelroy

• Members
  • Others: Exchange - Stripe
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

I am selling an ebook... and the book comes in three formats. The pdf download link works fine, however when I upload the link url for the amazon file that is just a .epub file, it says Download Error. When I paste the link into my browser by itself it works fine, but through Exchange it seems to not.

Am I doing something wrong?

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,720 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Hi lukemcelroy,

Can you please (always :)) provide us with a URL so we can take a look?  That's the best way for us to diagnose any issues.

There is a setting, allow_url_fopen, which needs to be on, but is sometimes set to off by the host.  Some server companies let you change this yourself, but you may need to contact your host and have them change it for you.  

If your hosting company allows you to make this change on your own, you'd go into your FTP where you should see a php.ini file.  In it, you should see the allow_url_fopen option.  Change the setting to on, then save and re-FTP the file.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 lukemcelroy

lukemcelroy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

The link is www.TheWideGuide.com. I don't want to publicly provide the download link for you for the risk of the IP being spread.

I will look into the server side of this to find out if that's an option for us.

#4 lukemcelroy

lukemcelroy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

That worked! I added that variable to my .htaccess file and we're in business now. Thank you for the help!

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

Glad that worked for you, lukemcelroy.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#6 lukemcelroy

lukemcelroy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Elise - The issue has come back... I have tried to find my .htaccess file and for some reason it is gone. Every time I try to make a new one with that single line of code it breaks the site.

Thoughts?

#7 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hi lukemcelroy,

Unfortunately, that sounds like a discussion to have with your host.  I'm not aware of any reason that adding that code would remove your .htaccess file.  Your host may just need to change the setting for you.  

Thanks,

Elise

#8 lukemcelroy

lukemcelroy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

I have talked with the hosting company and they cannot create a .htaccess file on my behalf. I'm at a loss as they say that the reason it's likely not working is that my syntax is off.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I have many frustrated customers who cannot download a file because of this. Can you provide me help with how I'm making the wrong .htaccess file?

#9 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hi lukemcelroy,

Did you talk to your host about the allow_url_fopen option?  They may need to adjust something in your settings instead of you adding it to your .htaccess file.  As I said before, some host companies won't allow you to make this change on your own.  So that may be the "syntax error" they're talking about.  

Try talking to them one more time asking specifically about allow_url_fopen.

Thanks,

Elise

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: information, Downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users