Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Add Product Now Shows As "add New Membership"

6 replies to this topic

#1 GonzoWeb

GonzoWeb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Webdesign
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationThe road less traveled....

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

The website http://www.tntsrc.org, is a Builder Essence White website with Exchange and Exchange Memberships installed. This is an association website for a professional association. In addition to memberships, they need sell sponsorships to events, exhibit space for meetings, etc.. They also have plans to sell physical products, like hats, tee shirts and coffee mugs.

I just tried to add exhibit space and event sponsors products for an upcoming event. When I selected "Add Product", "Add New Membership" came up. I don't want to add a membership, I want to add products.

Once the Membership plugin is added, does everything become a membership?

Does iThemes have plans to differentiate membership sales and other products in Exchange?

It looks like, the way it is now, I will need to get rid of the Exchange Memberships plugin and add a plugin like s2Member in order to keep products and memberships separate.

I'm beginning to think that adding membership sales to Exchange is something that has not been thought out. If it can't be fixed to also sell products, I will have to deactivate and delete the Exchange Memberships plugin. This will make the 2nd time I've had to do this due to limitations of Exchange and the Membership plugin.
“Cause him and his kind get more endangered every day
And pretty soon the species will just up and fade away
Like the smoke from that torpedo….just up and fade away”

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,699 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hi Mike,

Having the Membership add-on enabled does not turn all product types to Memberships.

If you have multiple product types enabled, in your menu, you'll see all the product types listed:

Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 11.49.19 AM.png

If you hit the "Add New" link at the top of the "All Products" page, it will start creating the last product type you created.  So, if you just created a Membership Product, that's what it will bring up when you hit Add New.  Or, if you've just created a Physical Product, it will start creating a Physical Product when you hit the link.  It doesn't mean you can only create Membership products.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 GonzoWeb

GonzoWeb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thanks Elise!

I'll give your instructions a try.

Having all products as memberships will make things confusing to clients who maintain their own websites.

#4 GonzoWeb

GonzoWeb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

It's beginning to look like my simple membership, store, and services, application may be beyond the capabilities of Exchange. I enabled Multiple product types and Simple Products. I entered a New Product, a $550 fee for Exhibit Space at the convention. Instead of a one-time charge, Exchange wants to give the purchase a time period of  forever, yearly, or monthly. It's a freaking one-time fee! To get this to work, do I need to set this up as physical product, even though it's not a physical product?

Here's what I need to do:
  • Set up an Exhibit Space product for $550.
  • Set up "Special Events" sponsorships with varying costs (each sponsorship is an individual product).
  • Enable payment for both the Exhibit Space and the sponsorship, combined for one payment
If Exchange, with Memberships enabled, can't easily do this, I'll just get rid of the Exchange Memberships add-on and add s2Member (which is really overkill for the simple member requirements). This should let Exchange sell products and services, etc. without mixing them into a membership system. I originally installed Exchange on this new site to be able to mange membership sales, exhibit space/event sponsors, and physical products with one plugin. Also, coming from iThemes, being compatible with Builder was a given. The website already has Events Manager Pro enabled to sell admissions to events. I was hoping to avoid having more plugins than necessary.

Thanks for your help.
Mike

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hi Mike,

You do not need to create a physical product.  If you're seeing the Forever/Monthly/Yearly options, that means you have the Recurring Payments add-on installed and activated.  You do not have to charge them monthly or yearly.  If you want it to be a one time fee, just leave it on the "Forever" option.  Or you can deactivate and remove the Recurring Payments plugin.

If you're wanting to allow customers to purchase multiple products at once, you can go into Exchange > Add-ons and enable the Multi-item Cart add-on.  So you can create an Exhibit Space product and a Special Events product (or products) and they can purchase both using the cart option.

Thanks,

Elise

#6 GonzoWeb

GonzoWeb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Elise,

If I turn off Recurring payments, will this also disable the membership term of one year from date of purchase? We need to be able to keep up with memberships, so that people can be notified when their membership is going to expire.

#7 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Hi Mike,

If you want the membership to end after a year, you'll leave Recurring Payments activated and select the Yearly option next to the price.  Then, after a year, the membership will expire.  It will not recur automatically unless you set it to do so by clicking the icon to the left.  If it's grey, it will not recur automatically.  If it's green, it will recur automatically.  You can read about that here:  http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Exchange_Add-Ons:_Recurring_Payments

Thanks,

Elise

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users