Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

in progress

Digital Downloads Pdf Issue--Safari Downloading As Html

digital download

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_myharpsdelight_*

Guest_myharpsdelight_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

Hi,
My customers with Macs running the Safari browser are running into issues with PDF sheet music downloads.  The files are saved with an extra html extension, so they don't open as PDFs unless the user manually changes every file name.  From researching this issue on the web, it seems to be a coding issue in how the files are delivered.  I would like to know how to fix it the files download properly.

Please help!

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,959 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hi myharpsdelight,

I can't replicate this issue.  Can you please (always :)) provide us with a URL where this is happening so we can take a look?

How are you storing the files?  I mean, are the download files stored in the Media Library?  Or are you using an external option like Amazon S3 or Dropbox?  

Any additional information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Guest_myharpsdelight_*

Guest_myharpsdelight_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hi, Elise,
My site is https://harptoharp.com.  The files are in my media library.  Here is a screenshot sent from a customer when she tried to open a file:Posted Image
(Link in case that image doesn't show up: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hu2evmi5dz53pqm/safari%20gibberish.jpg).

What happens is that as the file is opened or downloaded, Safari reads it as html (actually appends "html" to the file name).  Customers can work around it by manually changing every file name after download, but that's a lot of ask of them.

Thanks,
Susan

#4 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hi Susan,

When I got to the Sheet Music page, there's an .html appended to your URL.  You don't see that with Exchange pages, or I never have before.  Even if using the WordPress Page type in Exchange > Settings > Pages, the URL for your store page would just be /sheet-music/.  

I'm not sure why you have it set up this way, but I'm assuming you've add that for some reason.  That's most likely why it's being added it to your download file, though.  

If you can, try removing that and then see if your downloads work properly.

Thanks,

Elise

#5 wingdancer2000

wingdancer2000

• Members
  • Others: Exchange - Stripe
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hi, Elise,
Thanks for the suggestion.  My Wordpress pages automatically include the html tag.  When I edit the page urls, the .html part is after the editing box, so I have no idea how to change that.  There is a plug-in to ADD .html to urls, but I cannot find anything about removing it.

So I changed the store page to an Exchange page, which did change the page url to harptoharp.com/store.  I initiated a test sale and can download the file in Safari now. I would prefer to not be limited to the Exchange page because I want to be able to use my own title and text and there doesn't seem to be a way to add anything to or change the store page unless it's a Wordpress page. Please let me know if I've missed something. But at least the downloads seem to be working.

The test sale did not result in an email receipt, however.  Do customers who register not receive those?  Or have I broken something?

Thanks,
Susan

#6 wingdancer2000

wingdancer2000

• Members
  • Others: Exchange - Stripe
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Update: I solved the email issue--it was server-side.  I'll continue to use the Exchange store page and hope for the ability to add my own titles and text in future updates.
Thanks for the help,
Susan

#7 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi Susan,

Glad you got the email issue figured out.

As for the .html being added, if you have a plugin installed to add the .html, you can try deactivating that plugin and see if that removes it.  There isn't anything in WordPress or Exchange that would add this, and I'm not sure how to remove it other than removing the plugin you had to add it.  

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#8 Guest_Greg Swann_*

Guest_Greg Swann_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

I'm having the same thing happen with Safari:

http://splendorquest.com/product/get-sigyns-face-sigyns-grace-as-a-free-ebook-just-for-registering/

The files is named

http://splendorquest.com/SigynsFaceSigynsGrace.pdf

but it's downloading as

http://splendorquest.com/SigynsFaceSigynsGrace.pdf.html

Would appreciate any help you can offer.

#9 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hi Greg,

Can you please start a new thread for your issue?  This particular post has been resolved.

When you create your new post, be sure to include your urls again and also let us know any testing you've done so far.  For instance, have you tried testing for a plugin conflict (which was the cause on this particular issue)?

Thanks,

Elise

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: in progress, digital download

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users