Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

resolved

Integrating Exchange With Wp Courseware

wp courseware membership recurring

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Patty_*

Guest_Patty_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hello,

I'd like to use Exchange (with Membership and Recurring add-ons) to sell memberships in a WP Courseware course. (I know that you can't support WP Courseware specifically.)

I have several Memberships carefully set up. One provides access to an entire course; others drip the individual lessons (which are a WP custom post type). Using PayPal Standard.

When I made a test purchase, the PayPal end of things went fine - I was charged, got the expected notifications. But nothing else happened... I wasn't directed to register on the website, which would have to happen for me to get the content I purchased. And I assume that buying a membership product should give the buyer some information about what she has bought and how to get to it, right?

Not sure what's missing. Checked my PayPal IPN URL, and it's AOK. Just double-checked it.

Can you possibly help me figure out what I've missed? Thank you very much in advance.

Patty

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,959 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hi Patty,

Unless you are using the Guest Checkout option, the user is required to either log in or register when they are making a purchase.  When you went through your test purchase, were you already logged into the site?  And did you receive an email after your purchase?  The email and the confirmation page are where your customer will see information about their purchase, including links to downloads and their account page.  The account page link is not included in the email by default, but you can add it in Exchange > Settings > Email Settings.  

Let me know!

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

Thank you, Elise - very helpful. I'm checking it all and doing more tests, and will let you know.

Much appreciated,
Patty

#4 Guest_Patty_*

Guest_Patty_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hi again,

I just tried purchasing a membership again, this time from a browser where I was not logged in. Here's what happened.
  • First - the Product page shows *two* buttons "Pay with PayPal", one right after the other. Any idea why or how to fix? I can provide a screenshot if that helps, but it's just that, two buttons, one on top of the other. Everything else looks OK.
  • I clicked "Pay with PayPal", and a Registration screen loaded. I filled out and submitted it.
  • The next screen which loaded was the Product Page again, with a message saying "You are now registered and logged in as (my user name)." Is this the Confirmation page/screen you mention?
  • I was not sent to PayPal to pay, at all. ???
  • When I click to the content I'm supposed to have access to, I don't have access to it.
  • I did *not* receive any email as the purchaser. (I checked the spam folder.)
  • Back in the other browser where I'm logged in as site Admin, under Users, the new user (my test) appears. It says she is registered for the Course.
Obviously I haven't got it right yet! Really not sure what I'm missing -- any further help much appreciated.
Best,
Patty

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

Hi Patty,

Do you have both the PayPal Standard Basic and the PayPal Standard Secure add-ons enabled?  If so, that's why you're seeing two Pay with PayPal buttons.  You can either disable which ever one you're not wanting to use (Exchange > Add-ons) or you can change the purchase button label in the settings for those add-ons.

Here's the overall purchase process:  First, your customer should see the Buy Now and/or Add to Cart button.  When they click Buy Now, they'll be asked either to register or log in.  Once they've done that, they'll then select how they'd like to pay for the product, in your instance PayPal.  They'd click the PayPal button, be taken to PayPal and then, once they've completed the purchase, they'll be taken back to your site.  

I've attached a gif where you can watch the process.  I used Stripe instead of PayPal, but it's the same process, they just enter their credit card information in the Stripe window that opens instead of going to PayPal.

Purchase.gif

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#6 Guest_Patty_*

Guest_Patty_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

You're right about having both PayPal Standard and PayPal Secure enabled - thank you!

I studied your post and the gif (both very helpful - thank you) and then made another test purchase. Things went as you describe, until PayPal accepted my (as Buyer) payment. At that point, PayPal showed me a screen confirming that the purchase happened, and that's all. I was definitely *not* returned to the site where I made the purchase, and I definitely did *not* receive a confirmation email.

To troubleshoot, I did this:
-- Checked that I have the correct IPN Notification URL entered in my Seller PayPal account, and that IPN notices are enabled.
-- Checked that the email address I used as "buyer" works.
-- Checked my spam folder.

Can you help me figure out why those 2 things aren't happening as they should?
Thanks very much for your time and attention to this -

Patty

#7 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hi Patty,

Sometimes you the last page in PayPal you see will give you the option to return to the site and you just need to click the link.  This is controlled by PayPal, however, not by Exchange.  So you might try the purchase one more time and then see if this is what's happening.

As for not receiving the email - the email is created by Exchange, but it is sent by your host.  Can you check with them and make sure they aren't blocking this for some reason?  

Give those things a try and then let me know what happens and what your host says.

Thanks,

Elise

#8 Guest_patty_*

Guest_patty_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hi Elise, and thanks again.

The last PayPal screen does have a button to return to the website, but it's not obvious at all; I think most people won't even notice it. If I was the buyer, I'd be starting to get upset at that point, because there's no indication as to what to do next or how to "get" what I was just charged for. That won't work..

I did check that the email address is working properly, and I'm receiving other emails from Exchange via the same host. Out of the 4 tests I've done, I've received the email confirmation 2 times, and not the other 2 times.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again in advance,
Patty

#9 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

Hi Patty,

There's nothing we can do about the PayPal page, unfortunately.  That is all them.  However, in all my testing, I've only actually had PayPal do this to me a couple of times.  I believe that it's only when purchasing an item with an automatically recurring payment and therefore setting up the subscription in PayPal.  Again, I'm not sure that's the case because I've seen it so rarely.  

Can you give me more details about the product?  Is it an automatically recurring one?  Is it a membership product?  Any additional information you can give would be helpful.  And can you please (always :)) provide us with a URL where this is happening?

As for the emails - you should receive two emails for each sale - one as the store admin and one as the customer.  Which one is it that you're not receiving?  

Thanks,

Elise

#10 pattyayers

pattyayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, BackupBuddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

Hi Elise,

Thank you. I understand about PayPal having its own logic and page-flow which we can't do anything about. To answer your questions:

-- The products are all memberships, and all are recurring.
-- The emails: There are emails from WordPress, from PayPal, and from Exchange, but it has been inconsistent, or else my tests haven't been careful enough. I need to test more.
-- I'd be glad to give you a URL and a login as well, but first please see below.

I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree by trying to use PayPal, and maybe should be using Stripe. I would really appreciate your advice. I do want a solid payment processing solution, including some control over the buyer's experience. I don't know PHP or JS well, but I'm an excellent copy-paste coder  :-)  and I can follow directions. Do you think I would be better off going that route?

Does the Exchange Add-on for Stripe make it reasonably easy to set up? Will I have some control over what the buyer experiences, the flow of screens and emails?

Thanks very much for your continued excellent assistance -
Best,
Patty

#11 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hi Patty,

Stripe is very easy to set up in Exchange.  You simply need to copy two API Keys (four if you want to use test mode) from Stripe and paste them into the settings in Exchange.  You can watch the tutorial here:  http://ithemes.com/tutorials/setting-up-stripe-in-exchange/  It's not even a full 2 minutes long, which shows how easy it is!  :)

You will, of course, need to create a Stripe account first.  You can see how to do that here:  http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Getting_Started_with_Exchange:_Setting_Up_a_Stripe_Account

The emails, you can edit in Exchange > Settings > Email Settings.  As for when they are sent and the order that the screens appear in, there isn't really an option to change those, no matter which payment gateway you choose.  You may be able to customize this yourself, but it would require PHP and that sort of customization would be beyond the scope of this forum.  

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#12 pattyayers

pattyayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thank you, Elise. I went ahead and got Stripe set up for testing. Even if there isn't more "flow" customization possible, at least the buyer stays on my website, instead of being sent to PayPal and then just left there.

I have Stripe set up for testing, and attempted a test purchase, but my card (which I know is good) was declined. I tried another card, also good, and it was declined. Should I start another thread to pursue this?

Also would like to know: I purchased the Developer's Pack of all plugins 3 months ago. I haven't made use of the 30 days ticketed support -- can I still? Or did I miss the boat on that?

Thank you again.
Patty

Best,
Patty

#13 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Hi Patty,

Yes, it would be best to post this in the Stripe forum:  http://ithemes.com/forum/forum/208-exchange-add-on-stripe/

The access to ticketed support starts the day of your purchase.  So it would seem that you've missed out on that.  If you want to purchase more, you can do so here:  http://ithemes.com/exchange/support/

If you can post in the Stripe forum, I'll help you out!

Thanks,

Elise

#14 pattyayers

pattyayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

Ok, great - I'll post in the Stripe forum. Thank you!!

Patty

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resolved, wp courseware, membership, recurring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users