Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

information

Display Products By Category

27 replies to this topic

#1 imagedept

imagedept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

Hello, is there a way to display products by category on a page? If I sell T-shirts, Shoes, Hats and Shorts how do I display just the T-shirts on one page just the Hats on another page etc.?

Thank you.

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,959 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Hi imagedept,

Exchange uses your theme's category pages to display your product categories.  You'll find them at yourdomain.com/product-category/your-product-category-name/.  

Again, Exchange uses your theme's category pages, so archive.php or categories.php.  This, by default, doesn't pull in your products' featured image, you'll need to add them if you want them displayed.  Here are the instructions on how to do so:  How Do I Show the Product Featured Image on Archive/Category Pages

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  

Thanks,

Elise

#3 imagedept

imagedept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I don't understand. Do I need to add this code <?php it_exchange( 'product', 'featured-image', array( 'size' => 'thumbnail' ) ); ?>
every time I add a new product to the store? Here's my testing site http://test.theimagedepartment.com/store/ I have dozens of more products to add and don't want them to all show up on one page. How then are the products in their own category supposed to display on their own page?

Thank you.

#4 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Hi imagedept,

No, you just need to add the code once in your archive.php or category.php file.  It will then show for each product.  

The category pages are created automatically, you don't need to actually create the pages.  You just need to assign the categories to each product.  Then, you'll see them on the category pages, like the example one I provided in my last reply.  

If you don't want to use the Store page, you can disable it by going into Exchange > Settings > Pages and setting the Page Type for the Store page to Disabled.  

Thanks,

Elise

#5 imagedept

imagedept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

I added the code

<?php it_exchange_set_product( $post->ID ); ?>
<?php it_exchange( 'product', 'featured-image', array( 'size' => 'thumbnail' ) ); ?>

to the recommended location in the archive.php file of my child theme Threads. I can't figure out what the url to the category pages is.

You suggested yourdomain.com/product-category/your-product-category-name/

the domain is - http://test.theimagedepartment.com

the product category is - art

product name is - clash

shouldn't the page be found here - http://test.theimagedepartment.com/art/clash

#6 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:21 PM

Hi imagedept,

The URL for the art product category would be test.theimagedepartment.com/product-category/art/.  On that page, you'll see the product "clash."

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#7 imagedept

imagedept

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yes I see it now thank you very much. Sorry to be a pain but is this really the only technique to create a product catalog using Exchange? It seems now I have to figure out how to make the featured image link to the product page, create and apply a new layout, remove the date etc. Is there a way to use the shortcode on individual pages and just omit certain categories or something like that?

Thank you.

#8 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

Hi imagedept,

There is not a shortcode for categories.  There is a shortcode for the store page if you use the WordPress page type, but there isn't away to omit categories or organize by category.

Thanks,

Elise

#9 jfdoes

jfdoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

I am having this same issue, but with Builder Madison, and can not figure out where to put the code mentioned above.  I have tried in the archive.php but it is not showing correct.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot-by-nimbus (2).png

#10 jfdoes

jfdoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

?

#11 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hi jfdoes,

I apologize for your post being missed.

Did you checkout this codex article:  https://trello.com/c/IVcskHOm/231-related-products-widget  It is specific to Builder themes and goes into more detail about how to set everything up.

Checkout that article and then let us know if you have any other questions.  

Thanks,

Elise

#12 jfdoes

jfdoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

There is nothing at that link.

#13 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hi jfdoes,

I pasted in the wrong link, sorry about that!  

Try this one:  http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Exchange_FAQs:_How_Do_I_Create_a_Custom_Product_Category_Page

Thanks,

Elise

#14 jfdoes

jfdoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

I have tried to make sense of the article, but it isn't quite doing it.  I can't believe that this is such a mess when using Builder to do an Exchange store.  I have tried to follow the steps several times and keep getting error messages every time.

#15 hyrb69

hyrb69

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

I find myself with a similar issue and the wiki reads a little confusingly. Are steps 1-3 (Sections 1-3) different than the case outlined in Section 5? Or am I supposed to follow all of the steps when applicable?

To be more detailed: I'm using Exchange on a Builder theme (Builder-Carter). It doesn't have a "category.php". So should I still use the category.php from the wiki to create a "taxonomy-it_exchange_category.php"? Section 5 says I don't need to make "content-exchange-category.php", but it doesn't mention the other. In this case, do I only modify the "archive.php" in my child theme?

Or do I go through the steps to create "taxonomy-it_exchange_category.php" AND do the steps in Section 5 in my child theme's "archive.php"?

To help, if we're not to follow the other steps, and instead skip down to Section 5, maybe a mention of that near the top would be helpful?

#16 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hi everyone,

@jfdoes - Can you tell us the error messages you're getting?

@hyrb69 - Every theme is different, so steps 1-3 are a basic guideline to help you you out.  Steps 1-3 use Twenty Fourteen as the example theme, whereas section 5 gives an example of another theme, in this case one of our Builder themes.  

Thanks,

Elise

#17 hyrb69

hyrb69

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for that! I've got the categories displaying on a page now. I was just a little confused by Steps 1-3 being Sections 1-3.

#18 jfdoes

jfdoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

OK, I worked through the error, but the output still isn't right.  
Here is my store: http://ashersantiques.com/store/

Here is a category page: http://ashersantiques.com/product-category/cabinets-bookcases/

How do I get my category page to look like my store page?

#19 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

Hi jfdoes,

It's just going to take some styling.

You won't want to edit exchange or your theme directly.  Instead, you'll create a directory in your child theme named exchange.  Then you'll create a file named style.css where you'll add your custom styling and then upload it into the exchange directory you created in your child theme.  

You may need/want to do some changes, but this CSS should get you started:

.it_exchange_prod, .it_exchange_prod:nth-child(n) { 

list-style: none; 

display: block; 

float: left; 

width: 28%; 

margin: 0 5% 5em 0; 

vertical-align: top; 

clear: none;
}

.it_exchange_prod .entry-title {
font-size: 1.5em;
}

.it-exchange-base-price {
display: block;
float: none;
font-size: 2em;
font-weight: 300;
}

a.it-exchange-product-permalink {
display: inline-block;
float: none;
color: #738086;
background: #efefef;
font-weight: normal;
text-decoration: none;
line-height: 1;
margin-top: 1em;
padding: .5em 1em;
border-radius: 1px;
text-transform: uppercase;
letter-spacing: 1 !important;
-webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;
}

Thanks,

Elise

#20 jfdoes

jfdoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

I am still not seeing in the CSS where it takes on the collumn styling of the store.  I have added the css above and adjusted several ways and am not getting the correct output.

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users