ticket raised

Can The 'zip' And 'state' Fields In Shipping Address Be Made Optional?

shipping europe

7 replies to this topic

#1 rachelbriscoe

rachelbriscoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, BackupBuddy, Webdesign
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

I've had a look at some of the other posts in the forum here and have tried out different things but I haven't found a solution for the shipping address issue.

In Europe we don't have the state or zip fields.  Sometimes we have a postcode but not always (we don't have postcode in Ireland).  What I was trying to do was remove the zip and state fields (I followed the instructions on another thread on fields.php and removed them). Then I tried adding 'address 3' and 'address 4' beside 'address 1' and 'address 2' but this didn't work.  

Ideally we would have a form with four address fields, ending with the country field.  Alternatively if the zip and state fields were optional then we wouldn't get the error message if they are left blank.

Thanks for all your help so far :-).

Rachel

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,186 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi Rachel,

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to change whether or not a field is required.  This is something the developers have talked about changing for a future release, but I don't have a timeline for when it will be added.  I did go ahead and bump the ticket with them again today.

There is a sort of workaround, but I don't know what it will work in your particular case.  Instead of taking out a field, you can try replacing it with a hidden field with a set value.  This would work in most cases, except when a customer does have a post code.  

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  

Thanks,

Elise

#3 rachelbriscoe

rachelbriscoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hi Elise,

Thanks so much for that.  

In truth I have no idea where to begin replacing fields with hidden values etc.  I've built out the entire store on our site using Exchange and am unable to purchase anything from it myself because it won't accept my address.  It seems crazy that I can't use the plugin because the shipping address won't work.  It wasn't made clear at all that Exchange wouldn't work for users in Europe shipping physical products.  

Is it very complicated to do the workaround? Would I be better off deleting Exchange and using the Shopp plugin? I've promised delivery of the site this week with the ecommerce functionality...

Many thanks,
Rachel

#4 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hey Rachel,

Are you wanting to completely remove the Zip Code field?  Or do you still want it to show, just not be a required field?  I'm just trying to work out the best solution for you.  

I also want to mention that the devs are currently working on a VAT Taxes add-on.  This would (obviously) be an issue with that add-on, so they are currently working on the solution.  They hope to have the VAT Taxes add-on released the end of this week or early next week.  I can't guarantee the release date, but that is the current ETA.  Since it would be a fix in Exchange itself, and not something specific to that add-on, there is the possibility that they'll have an Exchange update released with the fix prior to VAT Taxes release.  Again, I can't make any definite promises, but they are currently working on it.  

Let me know whether or not you're wanting the field completely removed or not, and I'll get a solution worked up for you.  

Thanks,

Elise

#5 rachelbriscoe

rachelbriscoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Hi Elise,

Thanks so much for your help.

Basically I added my own address - and when I got to State, instead of State, I added: County Kildare, then for Zip Code I added 0000 - and I got the error message: 'Please fill out all the required fields', and I can't get past this.

Ideally the Zip and State fields would be removed completely - but then there wouldn't be room for a full address unless extra fields were added to the form, e.g. perhaps an extra two fields in the 'Address' section.

I understand the developers are extremely busy and am very grateful for all your help.

Thanks,
Rachel

#6 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hey Rachel,

I have found a solution for the Zip Code issue.  However, I have not been able to create a solution for the State field issue.  Because of the way that it interacts with the Country field, it's a much more complicated set up.  I still haven't found a solution for the state problem and, if I did, it would most likely require editing multiple files.  

If you'd like, I can go ahead and give you the fix for the Zip Code.  I just wasn't sure that it would be worth it if you can't also fix the State problem.  Plus, it's not something I would typically recommend as it requires editing files that will be overwritten when you update Exchange.  As (hopefully) the next update of Exchange will address this issue, this wouldn't be as big of a problem as usual, but it is still something to take into consideration.  

I'll talk to the developers again tomorrow to see if I can get a more solid ETA on this fix, but I can't guarantee that it will be ready by your deadline.  As much as I'd like to see you use Exchange, I'd rather tell you now that what you're needing isn't possible rather than you having to wait until the last minute only to find out the fix isn't available in time.

I'll post here again tomorrow as soon as I have any more information for you.

Thanks,

Elise

P.S. - Not that you probably want your customers to have to input  five zeros, just an fyi - If you enter 00000 for the zip code, that should work.  U.S. zip codes are at least 5 digits, so it looks like you just entered one zero too few.  :)

#7 rachelbriscoe

rachelbriscoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

Thanks Elise.  I'll hold on for a couple of weeks.  I understand it's hard to give an ETA as all kinds of issues can arise in development.  I'm a devoted ithemes customer so I'd rather wait and see than go for another solution right away.

The only other thing is that flat rate shipping isn't really suitable but the client was willing to average it out.

Thanks for the tip re entering five zeros - I didn't know that!

Rachel

#8 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for you patience and understanding, Rachel.  As soon as I have an update for you, I'll post here to let you know.

Thanks again!

Elise

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ticket raised, shipping, europe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users