Specifying custom layout -- without using drop down menu? WP Robot compatibility

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher Parks

Christopher Parks

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

Hello, I have a developer's license for BackupBuddy which I love -- and I am considering buying Builder -- but a need a question answered first...

You know the Custom Layout dropdown menu that appears in editor of every POST/PAGE? I am referring to the Builder dropdown menu that lets you specify which layout to use per page/post...

My question is this: Is there a way to specify a layout WITHOUT using the dropdown menu??

I ask this because I am using WP-Robot. The way it works is it lets me create a template from which posts are created. In that template I can specify a custom field.... Since WP Robot creates posts automatically and since Builder needs you to specify which Layout when you create a post, I need to be able to specify a layout in a custom field -- or something similar.

Let me know what you think and if you understand my question.

Thanks for your speedy response in advance.

Chris

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,144 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

Hi Chris,

you do not HAVE to specify a layout. If you don't the default will be used.

You could always create a layout for a particular category or tag, and make sure that category or tag is used by the plugin. And maybe you can even use a custom post type specific layout, but that depends on the plugin,

hope that helps,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 Chris Parks

Chris Parks

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:41 AM

HI, Ronald. Thanks.Ok, so you are saying that as long as my autoposts are in a specific category (and/or have a specific tag) then I can have them "posted" using a specific layout â correct?

Edited by Chris Parks, 30 July 2010 - 01:48 AM.

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 30,144 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:57 AM

yes

Edited by Ronald, 30 July 2010 - 02:59 AM.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#5 Chris Parks

Chris Parks

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:16 AM

BTW just to elaborate -- I currently use multiple templates... 1 for the index page, 1 for the category page, and 1 for the posts... and a secondary post-template for posts with YouTube videos.

Anyway, I am guessing that I shouldn't have any problems with Builder in that case?

#6 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • 30,144 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

that's a pretty good guess!

Ronald

#7 Christopher Parks

Christopher Parks

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

OK, thank you, Ronald.

Appreciate your help!