Backupbuddy Wordpress Site Migration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hi,

I want to purchase backupbuddy, I just need confirmation that when migrating a wordpress site to a new domain with backupbuddy, everything gets transferred, Including custom css, custom footer scripts, video and audio etc.

I have used other wordpress migration plugins however once the website has transferred, there is always some sort of issue. For instance, links might be broken or custom css codes might not transfer over.

Please let me know if buckupbuddy is resilient enough to handle a 100% accurate transfer as I want to purchase asap.

Thank you very much for your help.

Samuel.

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,714 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

Hi Samuel

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

A BackupBuddy full backup file (used for migrating a site) will contain a dump of the site database and all the site files/folders as you choose to not exclude (there are certain directories automatically excluded and there are other directories such as cache directories, backup directories belonging to other backup plugins/utilities/services, etc. that could or should be excluded). So if everything you require to be migrated is encompassed by this it will be moved across.

The migration process will update such urls and directory paths in the database as require to be updated for a site migration (assuming you are changing the url of course). Elements of the wp-config.php and .htaccess will also be updated as required but this does not extend to things which may be specific customizations because there is no context to know whether or not these should be changed - but as these will be specific customizations made by the site owner based on their required functionality the site owner will know whether and how any such customizations should be updated.

No migration can be guaranteed to be 100% problem free because there are simply too many variables that are outwith the control of the process and anyone who tells you otherwise is just misleading you. In the vast majority of cases you will have no problem but sometimes issues will pop up and that's what Support is for :-)

For example, the hosting being migrated to may not be 100% compatible with the current site setup (there is no such things as a "standard" hosting environment) in functional and/or operational terms - a site may work great on an unconstrained local development server but may be starved or resources on a live commercial host; or a server configuration may mean that stray space characters in a PHP file are ignored on one server but cause "headers already sent" problems on another server; or the files on the site such as css or php files may not have been written to be portable (particularly if migrating from a subdirectory installation); or there may be database issues with character set encodings that don't conform to WordPress recommendations; etc.

What I would advise is that before using any new tool such as BackupBuddy for a "real" job you make a few practice migrations for simple sites so that you are familiar with the process and for any client based work you make at least one "dry run" migration to their server to identify any issues so that you can determine how to overcome them if you find any - it's not uncommon for a client to want to use a particular host that is really not very good but they insist because they "like" them for whatever reason.

Please let us know whether you have any additional questions, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Samuel_*

Guest_Samuel_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:48 AM

Thank you so much Jeremy, for your prompt reply.

I understand where you're coming from in terms of site migration.

I have actually done so many practice migrations in various ways. I learnt how to migrate my site manually by downloading the database and content files from one domain and hosting account and re uploading them to a new domain and hosting. However I came across serialisation issues to do with different character counts of the URL's.

I have tried various wordpress website migration plugins and I have still come across setbacks. So I was hoping that Backupbuddy would be the solution

You know what, I might as well just purchase Backupbuddy and try it out. It appears to be a very good product that has had a lot of positive feedback and besides that, I have had a great response from you and the sales team so I know I'm in good hands should any problems arise.

For those reasons I am happy to support and try out Backupbuddy.

Thanks again for your reply.

Samuel.

#4 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,714 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hi Samuel

Thanks for your vote of confidence in BackupBuddy :-)

Certainly the migration process handles the update of serialized data in the database. There have been cases where a plugin or theme has not conformed to recommended practices with respect to storing of data within the database (using a proprietary encoding for example) and either the developers have or would need to update their product to follow recommended/best practices or alternatively provide their own utility for "migrating" their data. This one hasn't come up for quite a while so maybe developers are more familiar with recommended/best practices these days.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."