Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Considering Switching From Thesis To Builder

thesis to builder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mireille_*

Guest_Mireille_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Hi,

I have several sites built with thesis 1.8 never made the switch to 2.0 because when it came out it was chaotic at best. I need to update the sites. What problems can I anticipate if I switch to builder. Will I temporarily loose my sites? How can I have the site functioning smoothly as quickly as possible? I am really nervous about making the switch and need a little reassurance.

Thank you for your suggestions before I go in and break things.

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,749 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hi,

as for a smooth transition, whichever theme or framework you wish to switch to, the issues are the same. What I do when I convert a site to another theme is work locally on getting the design right, make sure all functionality is the same as in the live site, and then use BackupBuddy to migrate the site to the live site. Depending on the size of your site, that could be done in a matter of minutes.

I also test BackupBuddy migrations btw, before making the final switch.

Others find it easier to work on a subdomain of the live site (makes it easier to communicate with a client if need be) but that all depends on your routine and requirements.

Problems you can anticipate when switching to Builder is that you need to make yourself familiar with a new theme, and a new way of working, as Builder is very different from Thesis. To get an idea of how things work, on this page you find various tutorial videos (not all may be relevant). Our Codex has a lot of written information, and there are videos of weekly Builder 101 webinars by webdesign.com that focus on various Builder functions for users new to Builder, or just as a refresher. Again, these may be worth watching.

Let me know if that helps, and if you have any other questions,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 Guest_Mireille_*

Guest_Mireille_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Thank you for the advice it helps a lot, and scares me too. I will watch the videos and ask if I have questions.