Ithemes Security Causing Crashes

ithemes security bwps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 sydneyaisha

sydneyaisha

• Members
  • Others: Sync
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:30 AM

Why, since I upgrade from BWPS (where I never had an issue), to iThemes Security Suite, am I now experiencing regular problems (fatal errors) whenever I update the plugin? :-(
(On all the sites I host/ manage)

I keep getting errors if I try to use the dashboard after updating, for eg the latest one:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7680 bytes) in /home/minted/public_html/wp-content/themes/Builder-Noise/lib/builder-core/lib/main/functions.php on line 391

So I have to go in through ftp, delete the plugin, then re-install the old version :-/
It's my own server, it's not like I have a specific amount of bandwidth allocated to the site?

And by the way, the upgrade info initially stated:
"As such, support for iThemes Security will now come exclusively through iThemes."

However every forum post I've seen, has said "if it is the paid version, click here for support, if it is the free version, click here" - which goes to a generic info page lol. Unfair. I need support for this product, which I have loyally used for years. Or I'll need to simply abandon it and try a new security system :-(

Looking forward to some info/ advice.
Thank you

#2 gandrews

gandrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy, BackupBuddy, Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

sydneyaisha:

I recommend you check your php.ini settings and perhaps run phpinfo() to see if they need updating. It appears your out-of-memory error is triggering because of a general memory allocation issue. As the error refers back to your active theme's functions.php file, rather than the security plugin itself, it may be that your settings are just a bit stingy.

Chris has added quite a few features to the plugin since iThemes hired him on, but it may well be that the plugin now needs a bit more PHP memory to work properly than the older version. This could cause it (or some other process) to just exceed your current settings, which appears to be about 40M.

Have a look at this page:
http://bestphphosting.net/how-to-increase-php-memory-limit/
for some ideas on how to up your PHP memory limits. Take it up to at least 64M, and consider 128M, to avoid out-of-memory errors in the future.

I agree with you to some extent regarding some of the stumbles in support for this critical product acquisition by iThemes. I'd rather see them open a forum section to support the free product, and perhaps offer ticketed support for the paid product.

--George

#3 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,328 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi,

thanks George,

the message indeed indicates that the memory limit size in the php configuration needs to be increased. Here's more from the Codex on how to do that: http://ithemes.com/codex/page/ThemesFAQ#Error_message:_Out_of_memory_.28allocated_14680064.29_.28tried_to_allocate_4864_bytes.29_.28values_may_differ.29

A php memory limit of 40MB is quite low. These days, 128MB is recommended, more if possible (although WordPress doesn't make any hard recommendations).

Then, as a side note, on the how, where and what of support for the iThemes Security plugin:

View Postsydneyaisha, on 06 July 2014 - 02:30 AM, said:

However every forum post I've seen, has said "if it is the paid version, click here for support, if it is the free version, click here" - which goes to a generic info page lol."

and:

View Postgandrews, on 06 July 2014 - 08:50 AM, said:

I agree with you to some extent regarding some of the stumbles in support for this critical product acquisition by iThemes. I'd rather see them open a forum section to support the free product, and perhaps offer ticketed support for the paid product.

That is exactly how it is. This is what the message says (that I think is what @sydneyaisha i referring to):

For support on the iThemes Security plugin, If you have purchased the iThemes Security Pro plugin, please sign in and post your support request here: https://ithemeshelp.zendesk.com/home

If you are using the free version, please post on the WordPress.org support forums: http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/better-wp-security

So paid support for iThemes Security is handled through ticketed support. Support for the free version (available via wordpress.org plugins) is handled on the wordpress.org site. The link will take you to the plugin support page. I don't really understand what you mean by "a generic info page".

Through that forum, we will continue to provide support for the free version of the plugin. It is the same place where support has been provided for the plugin for the past years, and well before iThemes acquired the plugin.

Hope that clarifies,
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.