Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

How To Add A Field To Billing Info?

add a field billing exchange

8 replies to this topic

#1 sherrigoodman

sherrigoodman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit, 3rd Party Exchange Addons
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

I'm doing the simple product, for a donation. I've got the Billing address enabled, and am just using the Guest Checkout add-on too.

Can I add in a phone number field to the Billing address add-on?

What would be the best way to do that?

I'm wanting the phone so client can call people, aside from emailing them.

Sherri :-)

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,729 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi Sherri,

There isn't an option to add fields to the billing address at this time.  It is a feature request which you can vote for on the Exchange Roadmap, but I don't have a timeline for if/when it will be added.  

If you are using Gravity Forms, someone has built an add-on to integrate the two that might help you out:  https://wordpress.org/plugins/gravity-forms-checkout-info-add-on-for-ithemes-exchange/

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 sherrigoodman

sherrigoodman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

Thanks Elise. I tried that plugin and in theory it's a good idea. It works up until you actually have to use it as a customer. I get up to the point where i click on the purchase button and expect to the see the form come up with all the billing form fields... and instead, the whole thing goes blank. The only thing remaining on the page is the first part that shows the amount options. The purchase button goes away too.

I have to refresh the page to get back the button and email request.
And, as soon as I deactivated the plugin, everything went back to how it was working before.

RATS.

So - can you tell me which PHP file is used for the billing form set up? For the fields? I can add in more fields there. It looks like other files I've browsed through pull from the billing php file - but I'm not sure which one.

It looks like the most likely file is the one in ithemes-exchange/api/theme/billing.php   -->not sure it's this because the phone is already listed there. I'm looking for the Guest version.

The other possible is ithemes-exchange/lib/templates/super-widget-billing-address/loops/fields.php

I looked through ithemes-exchange/core-addons/admin/guest-checkout/lib/templates - and I didn't really see anything that lists an array of form fields.

I need to add in 3 fields to the Billing form: home phone, occupation and employer (this is for a political campaign, making donations).

My fall-back is to ditch the shopping cart, and create everything I need using Gravity Forms and a Paypal button.

What file(s) in Exchange do you suggest I look at?

#4 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,729 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Hi Sherri,

If you go into /lib/templates/super-widget-billing-address/elements/, you'll find the template files that make up the billing address form.  In lib/templates/super-widget-billing-address/loops/, you'll find fields.php where the array calling those fields is.  

That should get you started, but remember not to edit template files directly.  You can read more about how to do that here:  http://ithemes.com/codex/page/Exchange_FAQs:_How_Do_I_Edit_My_Template_Files

Let us know if you have any other questions.  

Thanks,

Elise

#5 sherrigoodman

sherrigoodman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

Hi Elise,

Thanks for confirming which files to use. It got me 2/3 of the way there. There's one more file in the api/themes folder: billing.php file needed to be updated as well. And I had to load it back into the parent plugin area because it wouldn't work in the theme/exchange folder where the other two files went.

It's working though! Woohoo!!

:-D

#6 Guest_Kimberly R._*

Guest_Kimberly R._*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hi,

I am trying to do the exact same thing as Sherri. http://ithemes.com/forum/topic/62166-how-to-add-a-field-to-billing-info/

I am using simple product to create a donation page for a political campaign. Need to add phone, occupation, employer fields to capture data.

All the instructions on how to access the /lib/ folder, etc, are not working for me. Can't find the files to copy, edit, move to a new folder in my theme.
I am a novice to WP e-commerce, but can figure my way around stuff like this pretty well.

But in this case, I need some more step by step instructions.

I have been able to sFTP to the backend of our WP site, but can not find an /lib/ folder. Can't find anything that looks like exchange.

I am in /home/my user name/html/ - then i have the option for...
/wp-includes/
/wp-content/
/wp-admin/

and as I go around in those folders I can't find any files or folders as are mentioned in this thread. I am on godaddy.com managed wordpress site. Maybe it does not let me get to what I need?

Also, since the user, Sherri, had no luck with the gravity forms plugin, i can't justify purchasing a developer license for gravity forms just for it to fail.
Help.

#7 Guest_Sherri Goodman_*

Guest_Sherri Goodman_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

Kimberly,

That plugin has a new update. Timothy (the creator) recently updated it after my trouble working with it. I haven't had a chance to try it again, but intend to do so , hopefully today. It may work now.

The manual way - going into the code - there are 3 files you have to mess with:
  • ithemes-exchange/api/theme/billing.php
  • lib/templates/super-widget-billing-address/loops/, you'll find fields.php
  • /lib/templates/super-widget-billing-address/elements/, you'll find the template files that make up the billing address form - you'll have to create your additional files (PHP) for the fields you want to add.
These are in the wp-content/plugins/ithemes-exchange/ folder.

Hope this helps.

oh - the billing.php file is the only one that didn't like being in the wp-content/themes/"your custom child theme"/exchange/theme/ folder. It works for the other files though in their respective folders (loops and elements). CAUTION - every time you update exchange, you'll have to upload the billing file again - so make sure you keep a copy on your hard drive to do that.

***Also note: you'll be able to add these to your database (the field info) - but you'll need to pull that info out another way. it won't automatically add that info into your customer admin area. I think you'll need to use PODs or LoopBuddy to do that. I didn't get that far yet - was hoping that plugin would be updated to try it again. Now that it is - we shall see.

Cheers,

#8 kjones8000

kjones8000

• Members
  • Others: Premium Exchange Addon, Sync
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hi! I am not enough of a PHP person to do all that.. so I tried Gravity Foms. I thought I had it fixed, but NO. Here's a summary. I am sure it's the plugin, but I submitted help tickets to both Gravity Forms and Exchange. My next plan is to abandon iThemes exchange and just use Gravity Forms + Stripe. After 3 days of nothing but problems with Exchange, they won't even give me/my nonprofit a refund on software/plugins we can not use at all. So frustrated.

I had a great checkout experience with ithemes exchange simple product.

Client then needed 2 extra form fields which could not be customize in the billing info collection area in exchange.

So i purchased dev license for gravity forms and used iThemes Exchange – Gravity Forms Checkout Info Add-on - and created a form with the 2 new fields.

Testing while logged in to WP site went smoothly, so launched the page.
https://yeson3a.org/product/contribute-to-yes-on-3a-2/

Now, when a customer has created an account and is logged in, the donation process is smooth.

However, if the user is new or when I tested (and eventually abandoned) checkout as guest, the forms disappear and the "Contrubute" tab needs to be pressed again, sometimes the "buy now" button has to be repressed. Sometimes the "buy now" option is gone. Always the amount disappears and has to be reentered. Sometimes billing is asked for first (exchange) and sometimes occupation and employer is asked for first (gravity forms) and the user is left wondering how to actually donate. It is a truly terrible experience and we have raised $0 since launch. HELP.

#9 kjones8000

kjones8000

• Members
  • Others: Premium Exchange Addon, Sync
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

Just an update. I ditched iThemes exchange, and the plugin to integrate Gravity Forms and iThemes exchange. Went purely with Gravity Forms+Stripe. Happy with results.

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: add a field, billing, exchange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users