Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Advice For My First Online Store Pse

5 replies to this topic

#1 joannem

joannem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Hi I live in New Zealand & Im creating my 1st online store so hugely appreciate any help :-)

1. They want to start off with Paypal; is it easy to add credit cards later?
2. Whats the difference in fees between the two?
3.Is there much difference setting up Paypal compared to credit card?
4. We're starting with 100 items in different categories but it will end up around 3,000 items eventually. Any foreseeable issues with setting up that many items in different categories?
5.Whats the best way to ensure this many items down slow the website down horribly?

Am I biting off more than I can chew for my first store? They aren't in a hurry for it, but of course want it set up correctly.
Any other pears of wisdom for me to keep in mind? Thanks HEAPS for your advice :-)
'Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get into trouble’ so I'm here, walking with the wise :-)

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,848 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Hi joannem,

Some of the these questions kind of depend on other variables!  :)  

PayPal is a core add-on in Exchange, but there are also add-ons that allow you to take credit cards, like Stripe.  The fees charged will depend on the payment gateway that you choose.  I don't know the fees associated with all of them, but they are charged by the payment gateway company, not by iThemes.  

Again, credit card set up in Exchange depends on which option you choose, but they are all fairly simple to set up.  Stripe is typically the gateway we recommend, largely because it is so simple to set up.  I'm not sure that Stripe is available in New Zealand currently, but I know they've been working on adding more countries.

I'm not sure if we have any customers currently running sites with that many products/categories, but I don't forsee any issues with you doing so.  

There are a lot of things you can do to help your site speed, one of the biggest things being optimizing your images for the web.  There might be tutorials covering this sort of thing on WebDesign.com.  And you can always Google "optimizing images for the web" and you'll find a number of good tutorials.  Running a cache plugin can help with site speed as well.

Our goal with Exchange is to keep things simple.  I don't think you're biting off more than you can chew!  :)  Especially if you're able to start slowly, like it seems that you are.  If you want a one-on-one demo of Exchange, contact Ashley (ashley@ithemes.com).  She can get something set up for you!

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Hi thanks heaps for your advice. Excellent!
I was under the impression that Stripe is not yet available in New Zealand?
My client wants to know the fees for having customers pay by credit card, can you direct me to anywhere that can help with that please and also any instructions on setting up credit cards if Stripe is not available in NZ as will have to do it a different way - isnt there separate merchant accounts and other things to setup and fees? Sorry - new to setting up credit cards. Cheers :-)

#4 joannem

joannem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hi, Thanks for your great advice! I gather Stripe isn't available in New Zealand or even in a beta format here yet.

Adding up to 3,000 products, I need a relatively easy way to add credit card payments, later on, so if I cant use Stripe, would Exchange still be suitable & what would you suggest I do, if I cant use Stripe?. Thanks heaps :)
'Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get into trouble’ so I'm here, walking with the wise :-)

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,848 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hi joannem,

There isn't a way just to "add credit cards" to Exchange.  You'll need to use a payment gateway in order to accept and process credit cards.

PayPal typically allows people who don't have a PayPal account to either register during their purchase or use a credit card.  You can also use PayPal Pro (which we have an add-on for:  http://ithemes.com/purchase/paypal-pro/) which allows users to enter their credit card information right on your site.  

We also have add-ons for CyberSource, Authorize.net and 2Checkout.  All of these payment gateways (including PayPal Pro) are third-party add-ons for Exchange, so they aren't included in the Pro Pack, Dev Suite or Toolkit.  

For any of these that you'd use, you would first need to create an account with them.  They can give you information on their fees, I'm not sure what they'd be. Sorry I can't give more information on that, I just don't have it all!  :)  But if you go to their sites, they should have that information available.

Set up in Exchange is fairly simple.  It's typically just a matter of copying and pasting in API keys or other account information.  

Hope that helps, but let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Elise

#6 joannem

joannem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Hi, thanks heaps! Sorry! I'd heard about payment gateways, but didnt realise Paypal could also accept credit card payments without customer having to set up a Paypal account & could just enter in their credit card details.
Thanks for your help, you are a gem :-)

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users