Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Login Errors Not Consistently Appearing On Customer Log In Page

5 replies to this topic

#1 spencer

spencer

• Members
  • Others: Premium Exchange Addon
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

When a user fails to log in to the Customer Log In page the log in the error messages don't always appear. The site is hosted on Media Temple's Premium WordPress. I thought the cause could be the "System" plugin that comes preinstalled with the hosting. The plugin contains the Limit Login Attempts plugin (http://devel.kostdoktorn.se/limit-login-attempts) which hooks into the log in errors as well through the login_errors action. However, when I installed only iThemes Exchange and the Limit Login Attempts plugin locally I could not recreate the issue.

The "System" plugin contains more functionality than simply the Limit Login Attempts plugin, but I cannot disable it as it is a "Must-Use" plugin (mu-plugins) and it would run locally. I've disabled all other plugins except iThemes Exchange and the "System" plugin.

I tested the log in on multiple computers and browsers. While the error messages may appear correctly once, they fail to appear the remaining times.

The site's Customer Log In page is currently located at http://804.94f.myftpupload.com/?account=1&log-in=1 because I've reset permalinks to their default.

#2 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,959 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hi Spencer,

Can you contact Media Temple and see if they can deactivate the System plugin, even just temporarily?  That way you can at least see if that plugin is creating the issue or not.

Let us know what they say after you contact them.

Thanks,

Elise

#3 spencer

spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

After trying a bunch of things, I think I have found the culprit. There was a plugin listed under "Drop-ins" called APC Object Cache. I'm not sure what the conflict is between the two plugins, but removing it fixed the issue. I still need to ask my host if they can see about fixing that plugin.

#4 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,959 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hi spencer,

I'm glad you were able to narrow down the culprit.  Let us know what you hear from your host about the plugin.  

Thanks,

Elise

#5 spencer

spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

The host recommended contacting the developer of the APC Object Cache plugin. I looked for a way to contact them, but couldn't figure out how to. I decided to try to recreate the issue locally, so I downloaded a copy of the plugin from the developer. After failing to recreate the issue, I downloaded the copy of the plugin directly from my hosted server. Turns out the two files weren't exactly the same. The plugin provided by the host contained almost 300 additional lines of code. I've since contacted the host again and they are looking to see if their version of the plugin is the issue. I'll reply when I know more.

#6 spencer

spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

After speaking with my host by phone about their plugin they emailed me this response:

"The PHP file object-cache.php that comes with the Premium WordPress hosting service is controlled by the hosting service and should not be changed. When changes are made, they will be overwritten at a later time. At the present time, I can confirm that the current object-cache.php that you have for [your server] is the default file."

So, I am not sure what to do next. Exchange still functions properly, but if a user fails a login attempt on the Customer Log In page the error messages will not appear.

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users