Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Way To Charge Sales Tax On Only Some Customers?

6 replies to this topic

#1 bethannon

bethannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

My client is a small organization that provides training and curriculum to nonprofits, mainly churches and hospitals. We have the online registration for their training events all set up and covered with Gravity Forms. I'm now working on the small online store for their curriculum and assorted small related products.

If the customer has a billing/shipping address in Minnesota (where my client is based), my client must either collect a special "certificate of tax exemption number", or charge the customer sales tax.  For customers located outside MN, they don't have to collect any info or sales tax -- and we would like to keep that part simple.

My client reports that less than 10% (perhaps one or two customers a month) of their customers need to pay sales tax – the majority of customers either reside outside Minnesota, or provide that tax exemption number. My client is willing to have an online store system where purchases that require sales-tax simply get intercepted and not processed – to have a notice that is displayed telling the customer that they will need to phone the office to process their order with the sales-tax added. (Up to this point, they have processed ALL of their orders this way!)

Is there a way in Exchange to:
  • make a checkout page custom field for the tax exemption number that conditionally displays only for Minnesota residents?  (or a visible field for everyone that becomes required for MN residents)
  • Then, once that Custom Field is displayed, can I make it required – that is, the order will not process without the number in that field
  • if the custom field displays, and a number is entered, it would be great to validate it – I've asked for information from the client about the structure of the tax exemption number, but this is optional.
  • IF the custom field displays (they are a Minnesota resident), and there is NO entry in the custom field, the customer is charged the sales tax.
  • Or, if #4 is not possible (that is, that there is not a way to add the additional sales tax cost into the shopping cart items), that a message could be displayed that the order cannot be processed, and the customer should call the client's office to arrange for payment that includes sales tax over the phone
Or, can you think of a simpler way to do this in Exchange?

Should we use the Membership add-on to force customers to create an account with their state/residency + tax exempt number?

There has got to be a way to do this!

#2 bethannon

bethannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

By asking about the Membership add-on, I mean: can I gather info in the membership add-on to then designate customers as "sales tax" or "no sales tax"?

#3 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Members, Moderators, Toolkit, Webdesign
  • 5,691 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hi Bet,

There isn't a way to designate whether or not a customer has to pay sales taxes.

Have you tried out the the Easy U.S. Sales Taxes add-on yet?  In the settings for the add-on, you can enable Tax Exemptions.  Then, when a customer checkouts, they can enter their information:

Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 5.13.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 5.14.53 PM.png

You would need to first set up an account with TaxCloud.net.  You can also set a default Tax Class and one specific to the product.  The tax applied would be based on the customer's address.  

Since you are already a Toolkit member, the Easy U.S. Sales Taxes add-on is available to you if you want to test it out.  

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#4 bethannon

bethannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hi Elise!

Thanks for your reply!

I haven't had much chance to work with Exchange before, and unfortunately in this case, I'm under a bit of time pressure.

I'm really curious about the second .png file you attached however. Does Exchange set up customer accounts where we could collect tax exemption info, that would then be applied to the total order that customer makes?  Or, would we need to enable the members add-on to get that?

Bet

#5 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hi Bet,

There isn't a way in Exchange (or the Membership add-on) to create customers who are tax exempt.  The customer would just enter their tax exemption information during the checkout process.  That second screenshot shows where they enter their information.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Elise

#6 bethannon

bethannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

HI Elise!

Can we restrict customers to only people who are "members" using the members add-on?

The client doesn't want to sell the curriculum to anyone who hasn't been trained.  I'm thinking maybe the solution is to create memberships, where we would collect all their tax-exemption info, and for the rare member who isn't tax-exempt, they would tell them up-front that they could not order online.  Since this is physically shipped products, and not digital downloads – as well as relatively few customers – the client will have some control over this manually.

What I need to know to make this work is does Exchange allow us to restrict purchases to members-only?

#7 Elise Alley

Elise Alley

iThemes Support

• Administrators
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Hi Bet,

You can create membership products and restrict other products to the initial membership product you created.  There isn't a way, however, to restrict people from purchasing the initial membership product.  

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Elise

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users