Backup Local Installation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Michelle_*

Guest_Michelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

I want to confirm that it is possible with Backup Buddy to backup a local site created with XAMPP or Instant WordPress and restore it to the hosting server? I understand that all files are replaced on the server.

I currently use WP-TWIN, which does not have the ability to create a local backup for restoring on a server. So I am looking for an alternative backup program.

Thank you!

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 12,712 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hi Michelle

Thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

Certainly this is possible and is a procedure for which many Customers use BackupBuddy. A BackupBuddy Full backup contains all the site files and a database dump and these, together with the importbuddy restore/migration script, are used to migrate the site.

The process whether going from a local development server to a production server; from production to local development; or any variation thereof is basically the same.

The main thing to look out for when going from a local development server to a production server is that local dev servers tend to have better resources (faster processor and disk and no or very long timeouts) whereas production servers will all have resource constraints of one sort or another so it's always a good idea to check that your destination production server is capable enough for your site and that the PHP configuration meets your needs - generally your intended host support is the best to ask about this as they have the knowledge about their servers.

I would always recommend doing a test migration of a small site first to become familiar with the process and get an idea of how good the hosting it and then you can do the migration of your actual site.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or clarification required, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."