Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Support during Holidays:

During the Holidays (Dec. 22 - Jan. 2) our support staff will spend well-deserved time with their families and loved ones.

We can not guarantee the same level of support that you are used to.

Moderators will check in on the support forum, but response times may be longer than expected.

Your iThemes support team wishes you happy holidays!

Using Backupbuddy To Migrate A Site

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RYSE_*

Guest_RYSE_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

Before I recommend that my client purchase your product, I need to make sure it can do everything we need done. My client that has administrative access to their current WordPress installation, but doesn't have access to their database or the FTP. I need to migrate this site to a new hosting environment where I've created a new WordPress Installation. Can your plugin migrate everything over (database, plugins and whatever else would be in the wp-content folder) from their current site to the new one?

Please let me know. Thanks!!

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hi Ryse,

No access to database or FTP? If there is already a database at the destination and you can get the backup and an importbuddy.php file moved to the destination then yeah could use BackupBuddy for it (FTP is pretty common to move/upload the files around).

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

#3 Guest_RYSE_*

Guest_RYSE_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

I just want to make sure I understand what you said. If I use BackupBuddy, it will create a backup file and an importbuddy.php file, then I'll need to move these two files to the new WordPress installation. Once I've done that, I will then be able to move everything (database, plugins and wp-content) from the current installation to the new one. Is that correct? Do I have to have FTP access to the current hosting environment to get access to these two files?

#4 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 18,547 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

Hi Ryse,

Once the two files (importbuddy and the backup) get put into the web root of the new site, importbuddy gets ran (at a location like yoursite.com/importbuddy.php or wherever it is located) and you go through the importbuddy wizard steps. How you get the files and move them over doesn't matter, there is a page in BackupBuddy that can help send files to the destination and plus you can also just download the backup and importbuddy to upload them to destination if you've got FTP or file manager access to destination (but not source site).

And just to be clear, when you migrate a site to a new location it doesn't copy the current source site. It puts a copy of the site contained in the backup, so it would be a copy of the site (database, plugins, etc) from when the backup was made.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX