Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Pre-Sale Question - Back Up Files

back up files wordpress

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Wendy_*

Guest_Wendy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hi there,

I've been "backing up" my wordpress site for almost a year now but can't see how to use the backup file to restore my site.  I'm now in a situation due to fatally hitting "upgrade" on my wordpress site, it's sent me into this journey of pain and I lost everything on my site.   I now have the bones of my site back up but I have lost all of my images.  

I'm wondering if I purchase this backup buddy is it possible to use one of my back up files to restore my site to what it was 2 weeks ago?

Thanks,

Wendy

#2 Jeremy Trask

Jeremy Trask

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, Builder, Members, Toolkit
  • 13,337 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

Hi Wendy

Sorry to hear you have had some problems with your site and thanks for your interest in BackupBuddy.

You can restore/migrate a site from a backup made using BackupBuddy but from your description it sounds like you have been using your own backup process or some other 3rd party utility/service and unfortunately BackupBuddy is not designed to work with data from other such sources as it would have no control over the content or format of that data. If you have been using a 3rd party product/service you should certainly check with them about restoring a site as a straight restore is usually a very simple process of putting the files back in place and importing the database dump back into the database using whatever tool is applicable - usually your host support would be able to advise on how yo use your control panel tools for this.

If you no longer have the actual image files then I would suggest that you contact your host support and see if they can retrieve them from a server backup for you. If the image files are present but just not appearing then it may be that your database was not properly restored and again your host may be able to assist with a server based database backup or otherwise you may have to "upload" the files again and attach them to posts/pages so that the database is properly updated with the details of the images.

Please let us know if you have any further questions about BackupBuddy, thanks.

Regards...jeremy

"Everything will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end."

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

Thank you so much Jeremy, that's been really helpful!  Seems like I need BackupBuddy for my future backups.