Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

information

Why A Separate Style Sheet?

4 replies to this topic

#1 bethannon

bethannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Toolkit
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Why are we being advised to create a separate stylesheet for Exchange, rather than just put css changes in the child theme's style.css?

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,728 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:10 AM

Hi,

Exchange, like many other plugins, has it's own set of css files. These will be loaded after the theme's stylesheets. So any exchange customisation added to the theme's style.css (so not using the separate stylesheet) will be overwritten by the default Exchange stylesheets.

By using the extra stylesheet you make sure that the custom Exchange css is loaded after the theme stylesheet AND after the exchange stylesheets.

Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 bethannon

bethannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

I do understand that I wouldn't want to make the css changes in the plugin's stylesheets, I'm asking why I shouldn't just put them in the THEME style.css (as I have been doing-- for Exchange, for Gravity Forms, and other plugins).

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 30,728 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Hi,

I wasn't suggesting you make changes in the plugins stylesheets. I guess I wasn't clear, so let me try explain in other words. Key of what I was trying to say is that existing Exchange stylesheets are loaded AFTER the theme stylesheet. And a custom exchange stylesheet in an exchange folder in your theme directory will be loaded AFTER that. So changes in the theme stylesheet will not affect css in the Exchange stylesheets (since those are loaded later). That means that to properly override Exchange css in your theme stylesheet, you would have to use the !important declaration on each statement (as the Exchange stylesheets have not loaded yet). Adding NEW css rules can be done in the theme stylesheet.

To keep things organised, clean and together, it is advised to use a stylesheet in an Exchange folder in your theme, Such a stylesheet will be loaded AFTER your theme stylesheet and AFTER the default Exchange stylesheets. Which makes overriding existing Exchange css a lot easier. Another advantage is that now your customisations are more "portable". When you decide to use a new theme, or perhaps want to add the same custom Exchange css on another site, all it takes is copying one stylesheet (opposed to figuring out which code in your themes stylesheet is Exchange specific)

But as always, in the end of the day, you choose whatever is the most convenient for you. If it works for you to add the customisations in your child themes style.css, feel free to do so. Do note that if such css is not working as expected, that could be caused by the fact that all Exchange stylesheets will be evaluated after your themes style.css, and may override custom Exchange css in your themes stylesheet).

Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#5 bethannon

bethannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Ah!  I see now.  Thanks for the explanation!  I have just tended to group my changes by plugin with !important declarations at the end of the child theme style.css, but now I have another thing to test if something isn't working right.

Thanks, Ronald!

Reply to this Topic

ATTENTION
If this topic is marked RESOLVED or INFORMATION, or if you are NOT experiencing EXACTLY the same issue, please start a new topic to provide the details of your problem. If the solution provided doesn't work for you, you should start a new topic. If you feel this thread contains relevant information, you may include a link to it in your new topic. To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. When posting your question or request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter and more to the point you can make your request, the better.

For BackupBuddy related issues, be sure to include the status log from your most recent backup.

CLICK HERE to start a new topic in the Exchange ecommerce plugin forum.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users