How flexible are the URLs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jean_*

Guest_Jean_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

I'm currently using joomla as for platform for my main website but it's too quirky. I watched your videos for wordpress 3 and see how easy it is to add nested menus. My site has drop down menus, but the URLs don't all include the categories and I've got pretty good rankings on some of these URL.

Specifically.... if there is a menu called 'lessons' with several drop down menus under it I don't want the 'lessons' to show up in the URL where there is a menu called 'stores' with several drop down menus the URL does show 'stores' in the name. I'd like to keep the 'stores' in the URL.

Is there a way to make this work in Wordpress? From what I've seen the permalinks are global. You can change the name of a post or page, but it looks like you cannot randomly add or delete the category for different pages.

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 29,987 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hi,

this all depends on what structure you define (pages/subpages, categories/subcategories) etc, and you can change the URL for a page for each page individually, and in the WordPress menu's.

But in general I think you're better of posting this at the WordPress support forum, since this is primarily WordPress related, and not theme related.

A search might offer support as well, and redirection is another option.

Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 Guest_Jean_*

Guest_Jean_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for your reply. One more question.... do you themes have the possibility of a menu at the top and another menu on one of the site colums? That might solve the problem with keeping the URLs. The 'lessons' could be on a side menu and not in a drop down?

#4 Sridhar Katakam

Sridhar Katakam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:57 AM

You can create a menu (WP 3.0 feature) and have it shown in a widget of any theme that supports widgets.