Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Please Note:

The iThemes offices will be closed Thursday Nov. 27 and Friday Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving.

Support will be limited, as we allow our support staff to spend some well deserved time off with their families. The iThemes Support team wishes you a great Thanksgiving weekend.

Using Builder with HTML templates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Emilio Corsetti_*

Guest_Emilio Corsetti_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hi,

I've been looking at the builder theme, and there is a lot to like about it. I offer website development services to clients, but I'm a one man shop with little graphics design ability. That's why I work exclusively with templates. All the graphics work is done. The client picks out a look they like and then I tie everything together.

While builder offers ultimate flexibility, your current list of child themes is underwhelming. Four of the nine themes are simply the same theme but with different color schemes.

From what I've seen, it looks like I could take any website template (Dreamweaver, CSS, maybe even Flash) and take the graphic elements and CSS and recreate the same look in Builder but have all the advantages that Wordpress offers.

If that is true, and this can be done with minimal effort, you have an absolute winner on your hands and don't even know it. So the question is, can I take a template built in HTML/CSS and easily convert that template into a Builder child theme? If so, I'm in.

Emilio

ClickHereOnlineMarketing.com

#2 sridhar

sridhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: BackupBuddy
  • 22,262 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

The word minimal in minimal effort is relative. Knowledge of Builder, CSS, HTML and a little bit of PHP is all that's needed to re-create any template/current site in Builder. But then the real question is, how much knowledge are we talking about? Unfortunately it's not something we can easily quantify and it varies between person to person depending on their experience, skill level and eagerness to make things work.

If you ask me this question "can you take a template built in HTML/CSS and easily convert that template into a Builder child theme?", my answer is "Yes!"

If you ask me this question "can I take a template built in HTML/CSS and easily convert that template into a Builder child theme?", my answer is "No one knows but yourself"

#3 Guest_Emilio_*

Guest_Emilio_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

I consider myself a quick learner. If you had one or two tutorials where you take an existing HTML template and then show step by step the process of how to swap out the graphical elements, I think that's all most people would need. Design is all about color and font choices, background images, rounded tabs, gradient fill backgrounds, fancy bullet images, etc. It's those little things that set a design apart from the simple and unappealling. You want unattractive, look at the Twenty-ten theme.

I can go into the the php and swap out image source references. But I have to know where to look first.

I managed to integrate a Wordpress blog into an HTML site and tweak the Twenty Ten theme to give it some design.

ClickHereOnlineMarketing.com/blog