Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Which Theme is best for my needs? Flexx Theme or the Builder Theme??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Scott_*

Guest_Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

So, I actually bought the Thesis theme from another developer & I realized I got in WAAAAY over my head! I originally wanted to get the Flexx theme, but my buddy talked me into the other place...what a mistake, I think!

So, here's my dilemma - I'm definitely not illiterate when it comes to computers, but I'm not a programmer or coder. I can generally get away w/some basic HTML, but that's about it. I am a Realtor & need a clean, professional site that has a good degree of customization, but with minimal coding. I also want flexibility & the ability to customize the site to a degree. So, here's my question - would the Flexx Theme or the Builder Theme be best for me - in your opinion & why? I feel comfortable in the dashboard environment & can pick up things pretty quickly, but I don't want to have to become fluent in coding. I plan on setting up my site, having a blog section to it, & also have different informational pages on it.
Also, a couple other things I'll want to do (being a Realtor):

•  Have a widget where people can connect to me via FB, LinkedIn, Twitter, & RSS
  • Have a rotating picture (possibly Flash?) w/various homes that I've sold in the header on the home page (which I'll make a static page)
  • Have resource pages w/content for my audience (about me, a page for buyers, a page for sellers, a "view my listings" page etc...)
  • Implement Google Analytics
So, please let me know if my expectations of the Flexx or Builder theme are too high etc...

Thanks, for your help!

Scott

#2 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 31,369 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

Hi Scott,
short answer, definitely Flexx. For all the reasons you mentioned yourself. Builder needs to be dressed up, Flexx comes in many flavours, you can select what appeals to you most, and you have a lot of control over the layout settings. Also, Flexx is equipped with various plugins, such as the Billboard plugin, rotating images script for header images, a feedburner plugin, a contact page etc. You may even want to have a look at our iRealEstate theme (demo).
And there is a wealth of information on Flexx already, either on our old support forum, or on this forum (in the members only section).
For specific theme questions and customisations we have our support forums, where you can ask your questions. None of the ones you listed here appear to be unreasonable.
Hope this clarifies, let us know if you have any further inquiries,Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#3 Guest_Scott_*

Guest_Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hi Ronald, perfect - thank you.

One last question before I place my order - on the Flex Theme Professional, are there options for color schemes? That's what it seems like, but I was a bit confused by the different color options & then the option of Flex Theme Pro (I'm sure I'm showing my "non-blogger" colors now :) )

Thanks for your prompt help on my last question - I'm excited to get the Flexx theme rolling.

Scott

#4 Ronald

Ronald

Forum Admin

• Administrators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes, Moderators, Webdesign
  • 31,369 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

Hi Scott,
there are various colour schemes, reflected in the different versions of Flexx. There is however not a setting or theme option that will change the entire colour scheme within a single theme.
Additional changes should be done by modifying the stylesheet, and with most of such customisations (within reasonable limits) we can and will help you out on the forum.
Ronald

Join the iThemes Builder Community on Google+.

To ensure that we can process your support request efficiently, ALWAYS include a link to your site, and/or the page your request is related to. Please also read the forum guidelines.

When asking your question/posting your request on the forum, please be as concise and specific as possible. The shorter your request, the more to the point, the more specific, the easier it will be for us to try and help out.

#5 Guest_Shawn_*

Guest_Shawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

OK, I am also have buyer remorse.  I went with the Thesis Theme because of the great cutimization and seo.  But I don't have two weeks to learn the ins and outs of the coding and layout.  I am very interested in builder because of the deisgn aspect, and because I now offer my clients seo friendly websites.  So... with builder will I be able to easily change backgrounds, navigation tab/bar look color, font color and the like?
Ot is it more meant for page custimization?  I have some picky clients, so I need to know before making the switch.

Thanks for a very cool theme!

Shawn

#6 sarah

sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Others: Builder, All Themes
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hey Shawn -
Thanks for joining.
The "engine" of Builder is more for custom page layouts. But our Style Manager plugin that is currently in Beta testing, but will be ready for release soon, will help cover some of the basic design elements without needing to know CSS.
And it will actually allow customization of all of the examples you gave (backgrounds, navigation, font color, and links) - to change colors, sizes, and other customizations. The Style Manager is only in the early stages right now though but that's what it will be able to go upon release. Hopefully in the future it will be even more robust. But it can definitely help you with some of those customizations on the front end. If the clients are super picky though then not even the plugin will be able to help them out!
We also have some child themes that come with Builder that you can install to give instant design and style to the "blank" Builder.

So short answer, yes you will have some flexability with some basic color changes with the new plugin we are creating for Builder. The beta version will already come with your purchase, but we don't recommend using that on client sites until the official one is released.
Hope that helps!

Sarah

#7 Guest_Vlad_*

Guest_Vlad_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:03 AM

Hi,
The Style Manager will be a part of the Builder product, right? (as opposed to a standalone product to be purchased separately)
regards,
Vlad

#8 Guest_Shawn_*

Guest_Shawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for your reply, that helps.  Can you tell me what happens after the first year of support, when I need help or theme upgrades?

Thanks again,

Shawn