Welcome to the forum:

Welcome to the iThemes, PluginBuddy and WebDesign.com forum. We've created several tutorial video's to help you get you started with using the forum, please check them out!

Also take note of the forum guidelines.

Support hours:

Our moderators actively respond to forum support requests during normal business hours which are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm Central Standard Time, typically within one business day. Although some moderators choose to work during the weekends, we can not guarantee immediate attention to your requests. Thanks for understanding.

What is included with support:

Premium support includes theme/plugin issues such as: bugs encountered under normal operation, how to use basic features, basic WordPress help, and basic help with customization (meaning we point you to resources and will help in more depth as time allows). More information.

Builder & Mu + a couple of questions {Pre Sale}

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_J_*

Guest_J_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

• Will builder work on mu installs?

For example say I want to launch a community site, within that you have resturants, clothes stores, realtors, with builder you build a front end by creating widget areas etc. but say under resturants you want to offer them a page based off the "block like the example" btw where are the available "blocks" listed?

Will builder allow for multiple "presentations" with each business category with the ability to be specific info for each? ie 5 resturants each with their own headers and info but based off the same layout template? or would I have to make a "custom layout for each specificly?

A. If MU friendly, it does play nice with buddy press or MU plug ins ?

B. Will MU users see all the Builder Plugings and modules/blocks or, simply at admin level would /could I remove these options? Ie simply allow "vendors" to edit content & pages and their images and not change layouts etc.?
  • Why would you need "child themes" if you can customize areas ie widgets content css. could you not take your own psd slices images and css rules and default create your own info presentation based on choices in the set up and custom layout options as demonstrated in the video?
  • Plug Ins: nice that you all include those, do you offer for an additional fee of XXX you can upgrade to the dev. plug in package (considering billboard & Mobile are included) ie a upgrade to trick out your builder options
Thank you for your time in answering the questions, I am just doing my due dillagence befor purchasing and seeing if this is the right solution for what I have in mind.

#2 Chris Jean

Chris Jean

Code Monkey

• Administrators
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

Will builder work with MU or multisite (3.0) installs?

Yes.

Where are blocks listed?

There is only one block right now, Restaurant.  When we add more blocks, we will start adding listings and more details.

Sharing layouts across sites

Builder does not have an ability to share layouts or views across MU/MS sites. Each site is separate as if they were separate installs.

A MS user recently brought up the idea of sharing layouts across sites, but I have yet to find a way to make this work well.

BuddyPress / MU plugin compatibility

A beta plugin that offers BuddyPress integration is available. It adds the functional integration; however, the BuddyPress-specific areas are not styled as of yet.

As for the MU plugins, I know of no compatibility issues. That is to say, I haven't received any reports of issues or experienced any myself.

Access to modify layouts

Access to theme options and the layout editor is given based upon the user having the ability to switch themes. Only users with a role of Administrator (given a default role/capability setup) have the ability to switch themes. So, users could be set up as an Editor to limit access to these theme features.

Beyond this, the theme does not offer any control over who has access to these editors.

Why would you need "child themes"?

I'm not quite sure that I understand the question. If you are asking why child themes need to exist when Builder has a style manager, the reason is that any tool to give control over styling can only go so far with the amount of customization it can offer. Thus, child themes give us, developers, and theme users direct control over the theme templates (index.php, single.php, etc), images, CSS, etc without requiring modifications to the core Builder theme.

Pushing all file customizations out to child themes allows end users to customize as desired while allowing for simple Builder version upgrades.

Upgrade Pricing

I imagine that you are asking about being able to purchase Builder and

the PluginBuddy Developer Suite and receive a discount. Our <a  href="http://pluginbuddy.com/customer-loyalty-program/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Customer Loyalty Program</a> offers a 25% discount code for members making additional purchases.

Separate from our Customer Loyalty Program, if you decide to upgrade from a single theme purchase (such as Builder) to  the <a  href="http://ithemes.com/combos/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">iThemes All Access Pass</a>, we have an <a  href="../../../upgrade-policy/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Upgrade Policy</a> that reduces the cost of that upgrade.

I hope this adequately answers your questions.

Edited by Chris Jean, 25 October 2010 - 05:38 AM.