As we have grown, so have our server needs. We are actively looking to add a team member that is dedicated to our servers.
While the actual day-to-day work depends on the individual selected to be our server specialist, responsibilities and projects of our server specialist would tackle include:
- Configuring existing servers and provisioning new servers.
- Developing solutions to ensure that our servers are running happily and tell us when they are not feeling well.
- Taking care of emergencies when they happen (server downtime, service failure, etc).
- Improving or replacing our shopping cart, membership, and support forum software as needed.
- Integrating software packages such as integration between WordPress, forum software, membership software, etc.
- Creating internal-use tools to improve team communication and workflow. Examples include a centralized bug tracker, an automated software packager and distribution system, and a shared storage share that team members can use.
- Building specialized sites such as a test drive site that allows people to create test sites filled with some of our software that they can try out.
Many of these solutions already exist and could be improved upon. Others are just an idea waiting for someone to take it and make it there own. And of course there are other ideas that we haven’t even thought of.
While the specific toolset of a qualified candidate vary widely, experience with the following are highly desirable:
- Linux server administration (both Debian and Redhat derivatives)
- Domain management
- BIND and DNS fundamentals
- WHM / cPanel
- SSH configuration
- Shell scripting (BASH, SH, CSH, etc)
Experience with any of the following would be icing on the cake:
- Web development experience
- Git / SVN
- Forum software (such as IP.Board)
- Virtualization (such as Amazon Web Services)
- SMTP, POP, and IMAP protocols and configuration of software that manages them
We see the potential of two different kinds of candidates for this position:
- An experienced individual that can be plugged into the team and can take over responsibilities immediately.
- A less-experienced individual that wants to be part of a team that can help them grow and develop their experience while taking on more responsibility over time.
We always prefer to have our team members local here in Oklahoma City, OK, but for an individual that is sufficiently experienced with server administration, we are willing to make an exception. If you are interested in the position but will need to grow into it, we really need to have you local to the OKC area so that we can work with you in our office environment.
As with any of our other team members, the most important qualifications are a passion to do great things and a drive to be self-motivated. Our hope is to find someone that loves working on servers and wants to turn them into a well-oiled machines.
If we haven’t scared you off yet and are interested in being our server specialist, please fill out the form below. We’d love to hear from you.