Hi everyone! Bes Zain here with some answers to one of your most important questions.
BackupBuddy allows you to make the best possible backups of your site. Having BackupBuddy on your side gives you the power to make the most comprehensive WordPress backups ever, though it leaves you with one question:
“How often should I use BackupBuddy to backup my site?”
Have no fear. Here is what I recommend after years of going up and down this road, and after losing so much information because of not having backups at the right time:
How Often to Make Full Backups
Full backups contain all your files and your entire WordPress database. You should make full backups based on the following:
- If you upload, update or change your themes or plugins at least once a week, you should make full backups no less than twice a month.
- If you upload, update or change your themes or plugins at least once a month, you should make full backups no less than once a month.
- If you upload, update or change your themes or plugins less than once a month, you should make full backups no less than once a month.
Yes, even though your actual files may not change as much, having a fresh backup at least every month is the way to go.
You’re probably asking for trouble if your full backups are usually over a month old.
How Often to Make DB Only Backups
Since Full Backups in BackupBuddy contain your Database backups, many people incorrectly assume that making more-often database backups is not necessary when you’re making monthly full backups.
Your files change because of plugins, themes, or WordPress updates, deletions and installations.
Your database, however, changes almost every hour of the day depending on what you do. Every post and every image you add to WordPress results in your database being updated. Comments, pages, and even themes and plugin changes are recorded in your database.
You should always update your databases on a regular basis and with more importance than full backups UNLESS you do full backups daily.
- If you post OR get comments at least once a week, you should make at least one database backup weekly.
- If you post OR get comments more than once a week, you should make at least one database backup twice a week.
- If you post OR get comments a few times a month, you should make database backups at least once every 2 weeks.
You’re again asking for trouble if your database backups are usually over 2 weeks old.
How Often Do You Backup Your Sites?
How often do you use BackupBuddy? How often do you backup your sites? Do you make DB only backups or Full backups only? Or do you make both full and database backups separately and regularly?
Share your thoughts or answers in the comments below, thanks!