We built Exchange with one goal in mind: simplicity. Building an online store with WordPress can get pretty complicated and we wanted to make sure you weren’t immediately overwhelmed with confusing settings and complex features.
Simple but Extendable: Say Hello to Add-ons
To keep things simple, we extended Exchange with add-ons.
Add-ons add additional features and functionality to Exchange. By using Exchange’s add-ons, you only see what your store needs, making it simple to use and manage.
Types of Add-ons: Core, Premium & Third Party
Exchange’s add-ons are either bundled with the Exchange plugin (what we call Core Add-ons) or as separate plugins (all of our Premium Add-ons and Third Party Add-ons).
Exchange’s Core Add-ons are located from within the Add-ons menu in the Exchange menu of your WordPress dashboard.
After you install the Exchange plugin, navigate to the Exchange > Add-ons page. In the All Tab, you’ll see all of the Exchange Core Add-ons, indicated with “CORE” next to the title.
You can scroll through this list to see all the Core Add-on options:
- Basic Reporting Dashboard Widget – Adds a widget to the Admin dashboard to give basic sales statistics.
- Billing Address – Enabling this add-on allows you to collect a billing address at checkout. There are no settings for this add-on.
- Digital Downloads – This adds a product type for distributing digital downloads through iThemes Exchange.
- Duplicate Products – This gives the admin the ability to duplicate an existing product.
- Guest Checkout – Enabling this add-on gives customers the ability to checkout as a guest, without registering
- Coupons – This add-on allows you to generate coupons that apply to all products in your store.
- Multi-item Cart – Enabling this add-on allows your customers to purchase multiple products with one transaction.
- Offline Payments – Process transactions offline via check or cash.
- WordPress Page Templates – Enable the WordPress Page Templates meta box for products
- PayPal Standard – Basic – This is the simple and fast version to get PayPal setup for your store. You might use this version just to get your store going, but we highly suggest you switch to the PayPal Standard Secure option.
- PayPal Standard – Secure – Although this PayPal version for iThemes Exchange takes more effort and time, it is well worth it for the security options for your store.
- Physical Products – Products you can put your hands on. Things you might want to ship.
- Simple Products – This is a basic product type for selling simple items.
- Simple Shipping – Flat rate and free shipping for your physical products
- Switch Product Types – Gives Store Owners the ability to change a Product Type after creation of the Product via the Advanced options
- Simple Taxes – This gives the admin ability to apply a default tax rate to all sales.
- Product Categories – This adds a category taxonomy for all products in iThemes Exchange.
- Product Tags – This adds a tag taxonomy for all products in iThemes Exchange.
Activating & Deactivating Core Add-ons
After you first install Exchange, all of the Core Add-ons will be disabled by default. To start using the add-ons, just click the Enable button on the right side of the add-on.
To disable an add-on, just click the enable button again to turn the status back to Disabled.
We’ve worked to develop a whole library of premium Exchange Add-ons.
Visit the Get More Tab from the Exchange Add-ons Page or the Exchange Premium Add-on Library to check out all of our Premium Add-ons for Exchange, including:
- Abandoned Carts – Make more money by reminding customers to complete their purchases.
- Modify Default Redirects – Customize redirects for customer actions like checkout, registration and logins
- Quantity Discounts – Set bulk discounts for products.
- Easy U.S. Sales Taxes – With the power of TaxCloud, charge the proper tax for each of your product types.
- Product Variants – Offer product purchase options such as sizes, colors, materials and price points
- Invoices – Send invoices with WordPress
- Manual Purchases – Manually add purchases to customer accounts.
- Customer History – Increase conversions by analyzing customer browser history
- Featured Video – Add featured videos to your Exchange store products
- Free Offers – Turn any product in your store into a free offer.
- Membership – Protect and present your content.
- Customer Pricing – Let customers choose their price from a list or enter their own price.
- Recurring Payments Add-on – Accept auto-renewable recurring payments.
- PayPal Pro – Accept payments with PayPal Pro
- Authorize.Net – Accept payments with Authorize.Net
- (Free!) Stripe Add-On – Accept payments with Stripe.
- MailChimp Add-On – Add customers to your MailChimp lists.
Installing & Activating Premium Add-ons
Exchange’s Premium Add-ons are installed and activated like normal WordPress plugins. Just don’t forget to install the Exchange plugin first!
After completing your add-on purchase, you can download your add-on plugin files from the iThemes Member Panel.
Follow the normal WordPress plugin installation methods to upload and activate your add-ons.
After activating, you’ll see your premium add-on listed in the Exchange > Add-ons Enabled Tab.
More Exchange Help, Tutorials & Resources
If you’re new to Exchange, be sure to check out our library of Exchange video tutorials. We also have several free WordPress ecommerce ebooks and Exchange documentation for all our add-ons are available in the iThemes Codex.