When it comes to raising money from your WordPress website, the best WordPress donation plugins make it easy and simple for you to collect donations online.
WordPress donation plugins are an excellent way to raise money because not only can you reach a lot of people, depending on how successful you are at bringing viewers to your website, but you can give them an easy way to donate, and you can accept multiple forms of payments so the process is easy for everyone.
Online donations are a big opportunity for any nonprofit. Stepping into ecommerce can be intimidating, but taking donations with WordPress is easier than you think. WordPress donation plugins can help your nonprofit start accepting online donations through WordPress.
The Benefits of Taking Donations With WordPress
As you’re working to bring online giving to your nonprofit, you’re probably going to face some opposition. Not everyone will be on board. So you’re going to need some ammo. Here’s why accepting online donations with WordPress is important for you:
- Lowering Barriers: Fundraising is often about minimizing barriers to giving, and online donations are one of the easiest ways to do it.
- Instant: No waiting for checks in the mail, no trip to the bank to make deposits. The transaction takes place immediately and processing begins right away.
- Available 24/7: Your supporters can donate whenever they want. No call center hours to worry about.
- No Staffing: There’s no extra staff time to facilitate online donations. Once you set it up it’s automatic.
- Recurring Donations: Instead of simply accepting one-time donations you can encourage supporters to set up recurring donations. They can set up weekly, monthly or annual giving that automatically makes a donation. This can be an easy way to encourage a larger gift—$10 per month is easy on the wallet but adds up over the year.
- Donor List: It’s easy to capture member data? online and build your donor list. Opt-in subscription checkboxes can quickly and easily add donors to your email list.
- More Options: You can give more options, which can encourage more donations. Make it easier for people and let them donate however they want.
Tips for Making the Most of Your Online Donations
Here are some tips for making online donations with WordPress work for your nonprofit:
- Prominent: We can’t say it often enough. Make that donate button prominent.
- Simple: Keep the donate form simple. You don’t want to require too much information. It’s important to grab an email address and add people to your list if you can, but each extra step or field in a form is like a roadblock. This is why we recommend enabling guest registration.
- Answer Questions: Transparency is important for donors, so make sure you’re answering questions and confronting any confusion with online donations. Let people know where donations go, make it clear if the donation is tax deductible and if you send a receipt.
- Trustworthy: Prove donors can trust you. Provide links to financial accountability information, like annual reports or Form 990s.
- Security: Set up an SSL certificate—it adds the ’s’ in https:// in a browser and an added level of security. It’s not always required, but it’s an extra level of protection and will build trust with donors.
- Prove It: People donate to nonprofits when they believe in the mission and see real results. An important way to encourage donations is to prove you’re doing what you say you’re doing. You should have some sort of news or reporting section on your site where you can talk about your accomplishments (and that’s super easy with WordPress). It doesn’t have to be a lot of patting your own back—it could be more of a celebration. But show people their donations are doing good. It’s another way to build trust.
Noticing a theme there? A good way to encourage more donations is to build trust. This should be foundational stuff in the nonprofit world. But it can be easy to forget when you’re adding a new component. Remember that everything you do with online donations should build trust with your donors.
Online Donations Aren’t the Only Way to Make Money
Online donations aren’t the only way to make money online. It’s easy to expand into other income-producing areas:
- Events: Online event registration makes it easier to track numbers, limit attendance, and raise or lower prices as needed (early bird deals, last minute discount, late comer price increase, etc.). You can also send tickets via email and not deal with the delay and expense of the mail.
- Membership: Form a tighter bond with donors by creating a membership system. Maybe it’s a simple “donation suggested subscription” for a newsletter or a more formal membership with specific benefits. Check out Restrict Content Pro to learn more.
- Selling Stuff: Nonprofits have a tendency to give stuff away for free, but ecommerce is all about selling. With an ecommerce plugin for WordPress you can easily sell just about anything. If you have any kind of content, whether it’s articles or videos, consider bundling it into some sort of a product and make it available for sale. People are often willing to pay for a collection of articles when you call it a book, even if it’s freely available online.
WordPress is flexible. You can take donations with WordPress and then be ready for more.
The Best WordPress Donation Plugins to Try
GiveWP, a secure WordPress donation plugin developed by Matt Cromwell and Devin Walker, is excellent for fundraising for a variety of reasons:
• You are not charged a commission on any donation you receive. Give does charge for a Basic, Plus, or Pro license, and they do charge for additional functionality, which is how they earn their revenue. These add-ons include Recurring Donations, Marketing Add-Ons, and more.
Why we like GiveWP
- The forms are easy to fill out.
- You can place donation forms on multiple pages of your website.
- Forms can be embedded on the sidebar of your website.
- Donation reports can be exported by date range in both PDF and CSV.
- Reports include full history of donations.
- It includes a PayPal payment gateway, the most popular to use, as well as Stripe, Authorize.net, etc.
Easy installation of the GiveWP plugin is possible with automatic installation. You simply go to Plugins and “Add New.” After you find GiveWp, simply click “Install Now.”
Whether you have one charity or many, you can manage multiple WordPress sites. It’s much easier to manage all your WordPress sites from one place.
Donation Content Locker
This WordPress donation plugin for fundraising is beneficial for those who wish to hide certain content from readers and only display it to donors. So, for example, if you are an author who writes stories every month, you can display certain stories to your donors that others will not see. It’s an incentive for donors to give to access content and support you in your writing efforts.
Donation Content Locker is especially excellent for authors and other artists who wish to support their crafts.
Why we like Donation Content Locker
- Multiple payment gateway options, including PayPal, Authorize.Net, and more.
- When a donor makes a payment, they’ll get an activation lick to access and unlock the content.
- You can set a minimum donation limit.
- Ability to block people who distribute your activation link.
- There’s an affordable Regular License and an Extended License depending on your needs.
You install and activate the Donation Content Locker plugin as you would other WordPress plugins. A “Donation Locker” menu will appear on the left column in the admin area. Click “Donation Locker” and “Settings.” Set payment, email templates, and more. Go to a post; wrap locked content with shortcode; a donation box replaces the shortcode.
Donation Content Locker is a great way to get started with donations for freelance writers, authors, and creators. To get help with your business as a freelancer, check out Freelance Leap Year. Every month, you can get expert advice on running your business, such as finances, problem clients, etc.
Woo Donations is especially great for small business because it is free. There is no charge for the plugin, and it is can be used with any WooCommerce site. Building a WooCommerce site can be done easily if you haven’t done it before.
Why we like the Woo Donation Plugin
- You can create a donate option in your WooCommerce site.
- The plugin allows you to set up a specific product as the donation from a list of products.
- It allows you to set up the location where the donation form will appear by way of the checkout page and option cart.
To install WooCommerce, install the plugin through WordPress. After activating the plugin through the plugins screen, configure the plugin. Then, when you go to the checkout page, the donation form will be displayed.
With a WooCommerce site, you may run across some terrible clients. Check out The Terrible Client Protection Plan to help you with this situation.
Another excellent WordPress fundraising plugin is the PayPal Donation plugin. This is a free plugin that is easy to install.
Why we like the PayPal Donation Plugin
- Place it anywhere on your site.
- Visitors can use either their PayPal account or their credit card to donate money.
- Visitors can make one payment or set up recurring donations per day, week, month, or year.
- It supports 18 languages and 25 currencies
- You can upload one of the many PayPal button templates or use your own button design.
- The Pro feature is not free and is designed for business owners who want more features.
This WordPress fundraising plugin is easy to install with automatic installation. You simply go to Plugins and “Add New.” After searching for and finding the PayPal Donation Button, you click install. On the settings page, go ahead and configure the values. Make your donation button. Then place the shortcode anywhere on your site.
Help your business with the Recurring Revenue Summit. Here is where you can better understand how to budget, create a monthly maintenance plan, make it easier for your clients to pay, and more.
Another secure WordPress plugin for fundraising is Donorbox. The plugin is free up to $1,000. After that, you’re charged a small fee. Fees may also be imposed by services such as PayPal or Stripe. You can cover the costs, or you can set it up for your donors to cover the fees.
Why we like Donorbox
- Easy to set up and ready to use in approximately 15 minutes.
- You’ll have the ability to brand your donation page with your logo, color scheme.
- You can custom your input field.
- The plugin accepts PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc.
- Donations can be onetime or recurring.
- Every donor gets a personalized receipt.
- It’s not limited to any genre or industry.
To install Donorbox, simply go to the Plugins tab and “Add New.” Search for Donorbox, press enter, and click “Install Now.” Be sure to activate it! You’ll then need to go to Donorbox.org to register an organization.
To get donors takes a bit of skill. You gain valuable information at the Client Contracts and Proposals Workshop. It can help you with client meetings, proposals, and contracts.
You can get donations quickly with Charitable and with no transaction fees. They offer Plus, Pro, Agency, and Lifetime plans.
Why we like Charitable
- Options for a fixed donation, a donation that is customized, or both.
- The donation form can appear anywhere on your website or blog.
- You can create suggested amounts, allow donors to give what they want, or both.
- You can accept donations through PayPal, with additional online methods by purchasing add-ons.
- Accept donations through offline methods such as check, or bank transfer.
To install Charitable, upload charitable.php to the WordPress Plugins directory. Then Activate. After you activate the plugin through the Plugin menu, go to Charitable and Add Campaign to create a campaign.
WPForms Lite is an easy and secure drag and drop WordPress contact form builder that can be created in five minutes or less. You can create all sorts of forms, including subscription forms, feedback forms, payment forms, and donation forms. It’s perfect for small charities, nonprofits, authors, and bloggers. To accept online donations, you will need to purchase payment add-ons.
Why we like WPForms Lite
- You can embed the form on any part of a website or blog.
- It’s mobile-friendly.
- You can use PayPal and Stripe for payments.
- There’s spam protection.
- It integrates with email marketing platforms.
To install WPForms Lite, use the plugin search. After finding WPForms, click “Install Now.” Then activate the plugin, and configure the plugin settings.
If you build websites for clients, get information on offering WordPress maintenance services. You know that building websites for clients doesn’t end there. Maintenance is a big part of it. Maintaining your client’s sites can give you a more consistent income, more predictable work, and more.
Donation Manager Pro
Donation Manager Pro is another plugin that is quick to set up and great for fundraising.
Why we like Donation Manager Pro
- It has multiple payment gateways.
- There are two templates.
- Payments can be accepted by a variety of means, including PayPal, Authorize.Net, and more.
- It’s translation ready.
Install the plugin through WordPress and activate it. A “Donations” menu will appear on the left side column in the admin area. Click “Donations” then “Settings.” Set up your payment gateway parameters, the template for your email, etc. Take the shortcode and insert it on any page.
Use a WordPress Donation Plugin Today
If you are working for a non-profit, you already know WordPress is the best content management system for your website. It is an easy addition to add a WordPress donation plugin to your site. It is a simple and straight forward way to raise money. If you are successful at gaining visitors to your site, these WordPress plugins can help you achieve the goals for donations and funds you seek.