The latest version of iThemes Security Pro now includes Temporary Privilege Escalation—or a way to temporarily grant admin or editor access to your WordPress site for a specified period of time.
For example, this feature is useful if you’d like to allow a contractor to have developer access to a site for 24 hours, after which his or her status would be automatically revoked.
How to Set Up Temporary Privilege Escalation in iThemes Security Pro
1. Update to iThemes Security Pro v.1.11.4+. This update is available as an automatic update from the WordPress dashboard for licensed sites or as manual update from the iThemes Member Panel. You can also update all your sites at once from the Sync dashboard.
2. Navigate to the Pro tab in the iThemes Security Pro plugin menu. Scroll down until you see the Temporary Privilege Escalation section.
3. Click Enable privilege escalation to enable and then click Save All Changes.
4. To apply this setting to a user, you’ll need to navigate to the Users page from the Users menu item in the WordPress dashboard.
5. Either add a new user here or edit an existing user. Scroll the the bottom of any user profile and you’ll see the Temporary Privilege Escalation section. Note: the user must have a current active role that is lower than Administrator and/or Editor for the Temporary Privilege options to appear.
6. Select the temporary role you’d like to grant to the user (administrator or editor) and the number of days for the role to be active.
7. Click Update User. The user will now have temporary admin or editor access to the site.
Get iThemes Security Pro with Temporary Privilege Escalation, Two-Factor Authentication & More
Upgrade to iThemes Security Pro today to get access to pro-only features plus ticketed support plus all new features we release for the next year.
Best Deal! Get Our Entire Library of Plugins, Themes and Training in the Toolkit
Get unlimited site licenses of our entire inventory of 30+ professional WordPress plugins (including iThemes Security Pro and BackupBuddy), 200+ themes and iThemes Training membership in our WordPress Web Designer’s Toolkit. With the Toolkit, you’ll also get 10 free Sync Pro sites (reg. $130/year) with new Client Dashboard, Uptime Monitoring and Google Analytics Integration.
Kristen has been writing tutorials to help WordPress users since 2011. You can usually find her working on new articles for the iThemes blog or developing resources for #WPprosper. Outside of work, Kristen enjoys journaling (she’s written two books!), hiking and camping, cooking, and daily adventures with her family, hoping to live a more present life.