Monday Motivation: “You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.” – Mark Twain
Are you living a life without imagination? Do you stick to what you know and what you can see?
You have to find your way to dare to dream if you are going to live your possibilities. Your imagination allows you to see around the roadblocks, past the bends in the road, and through the storm. Without imagination, you are stuck doing what you have always done, which will get you what you have always gotten. If you want different, you have to change the focus of your imagination.
Are you imagining the worst and creating ways to find that worst? Do you see problems in every gift?
Your imagination can be used for good – to push to where you want to be. Your imagination can also be used for bad – to hold you down, to hold you back, or to crush you where you stand.
You need to utilize imagination to see beyond the limits of the moment, but you have to keep your imagination focused on the right things. When your imagination gets out of focus, your whole world seems to spiral out of control behind it.
Determine the Focus of Your Imagination
- Do you worry over a matter until you have worried about it from every angle?
- Do you imagine the worst-case scenario for everything you have coming up?
- Do you jump to the negative conclusion for everything that happens?
- Do you stay awake for any length of time coming up with things that might happen?
- Do you get distracted from what you are doing by worrying about what you haven’t done?
- Do you lose your focus thinking about things you have no control over?
- Do you wonder about the things you can’t do or reasons you can’t do what you want to do?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, your imagination might be out of focus. If you answered yes to more than four, you definitely need an imagination shift.
When you keep your attention on the negatives, the negatives will be what you grow. When worry begins and ends your day then worry will be in charge of your day.
If you want different, you have to change the focus of your imagination.
Change Imagination Focus
Willie Wonka (the whimsical Gene Wilder version and not the harsh Jonny Depp version) challenges the visitors to his shop that if they want to see paradise they simply have to look around and view it.
Henry Ford said that if you think you can or you think you can’t, you are right.
Both men are daring you to dream big and make it happen.
5 Tips to Shift Your Imagination Focus
- Think of all the things you would do if you suddenly had unlimited resources. If you don’t have what you need, then there are ways to find the things you need. If you need a million dollars, all you have to do is find 1 person who will invest a million, or 10 people who will invest 100,000, or 100,000 people who will invest 10 dollars. In other words, if you have a dream that you can reach with unlimited resources, then you can dream up a way to get the resources you need. Once you start to focus your imagination on the possibilities, then you open up a world of unlimited.
- List positive things you can make happen today. Start your day focus on positive living by setting out a plan to reach your positives. Until you get in the habit of starting with the positives, you will struggle to break free of the negative focus. You will never break the habit of negatives, but you can replace the habit with a new one of positive focus.
- Close your eyes and picture what it will be like when you cross your goal finish line. Once you believe it, you will be able to see it. When you see it, you will be fueled for achieving it. Your imagination will create a way for your reality.
- Share with one person you trust how it will feel to reach your big goals. Speaking out what you want roots the dream into reality. When you share with someone you trust, you add accountability to your imagination.
- Write out a one-sentence declaration about living out your dreams. Turn your dreams into tangible goals by writing them down. Post them around you, so you see them and remember them, and are again fueled to bring them to life. What you put into your eyes (and ears) settles down into your heart. A dream planted in the heart can change the world.
Dare to imagine your world of possibilities, and you will discover you create an awesome life for you and for those around you.
How will you change the focus of your imagination?
Challenge: Find ways to shift your imagination focus to possibility dreams.
Are you ready to build your awesome life? We’re here to help.
Join us over at WPprosper for more support on facing down fear, finding your focus, and living your awesome life.
Kathryn Lang believes it is simple, and as an award-winning author and natural-born hopesmith, she shares tips on how to find your why, pursue your purpose, and live a bold, intentional life – always with a dash of twisted encouragement.