Each month, we recap the best WordPress plugins that were added or updated within the last 30 days on the WordPress Plugin Directory. Here’s a list of our favorite new or recently-updated plugins for August 2020.
1. Post SMTP Mailer/Email Log
Post SMTP is a next-generation WP Mail SMTP plugin, that assists in the delivery of email generated by your WordPress site. Post SMTP is not another WP Mail SMTP clone like WP Bank or Easy SMTP. It replaces the default WordPress SMTP library, PHPMailer, with the heavy-duty Zend_Mail.
- Helps boost the deliverability of WordPress Transactional Email by replacing the default wp_mail function with a more reliable SMTP or transactional service.
- Works with Sendgrid and Mailgun via API
- Get notified if your mails are failing by a Chrome browser extension or integration with Slack.
- Supports a failover to a secondary sending source if the primary stops working
- Also supports email status logging within WordPress (you’ll need to decide if that’s a good fit for you)
- Note: Sendgrid’s official WordPress plugin hasn’t been updated in 2 years and officially doesn’t support PHP 7… Post SMTP is a worthy replacement.
2. Hey Notify
Get notified when things happen in WordPress. Notifications can be sent to: Slack, Discord, and Email. Notifications are made for Posts – Status transitions, Pages – Status transitions, Comments – New comments, Users – New users, admin logins, failed admin logins, System Events – WordPress, plugin, and theme updates
- If you need to monitor what’s happening on a website that you manage, this is an excellent way to do it.
- Slack (for example) is free to set up and you can create a channel for each client.
- With this plugin, you can quickly review a history of what happened on a website.
3. Wholesome Publishing This Month’s Featured Gutenberg Add-on
Wholesome Publishing brings some wholesome editing features to the WordPress Block Editor (Gutenberg). Features include: Ability to add threaded comments to individual blocks. Ability to mark a block as draft, so that it does not appear on the front end.
- A very helpful add-on for content collaboration in Gutenberg.
- Simple UI that integrates nicely into the block editor.
4. Video Downloader for TikTok
TikTok Video Downloader enables downloading videos from any TikTok URLs. Simply find the video’s links and your videos are just a click away. This Video Downloader for TikTok provides a shortcode for you to insert in any page or post. Once published, you’ll see the download box right on your page/post.
- Will TikTok survive? Who knows, but this plugin allows you (ok, probably your kids) to save videos uploaded to the questionable service.
- Install, activate and drop in the shortcode [tiktok-download] to any page or post.
- Settings are available under the “Downloader” menu item toward the top of the admin menu.
5. Link Finder
No more broken links. Speed up your website by avoiding redirects and improve your search engine ranking. Link Finder is a very simple and lightweight plugin to easily find and repair broken links throughout your website.
- An excellent on-demand broken link checker run from within WordPress
- Find and correct broken links on the plugin page found under tools.
- A lighter alternative to the Broken Link Check plugin, which is disallowed by some managed WordPress platforms.
6. Ninja Charts – Best WP Charts Plugin for WordPress
Ninja Charts is the most lightweight WordPress chart plugin that simplifies the online chart creation process with ease of use. Currently, the plugin offers 9 different styles of charts that you can adjust with your required data in a visual representation.
- Intuitive UI makes it easy to create several different kinds of charts
- Charts have superb subtle animations and are responsive
- Colors on some charts cannot currently be modified (coming in later versions)
- Add chart data manually or import from the Ninja Tables plugin
7. Lazy Loading oEmbed Iframes This Month’s Simple but Useful Plugin
This plugin adds the loading=lazy attribute to iframe elements coming from oEmbeds. In WordPress 5.5, loading=lazy is added to images but not yet iframes (though it was mentioned in #44427). For lazy-loaded images on WP 5.4 and before, use the Lazy Loading Feature Plugin. This plugin will likely be obsolete either by the time WordPress 5.5 is released or soon thereafter.
- Adds lazy loading to iframe content automatically on your website.
- This functionality will likely be integrated into core sometime soon.
- But if you need speed now on pages with iframe content, this should help.
8. Web Vitals Tracking
Track core web vitals data and save history, powers a dashboard with 24h and one month of historic data, shows worsts pages.
- A handy way to track your Web Vitals metrics from within WordPress
- Install and activate and data starts accumulating from that point.
- Over time, you should get some helpful information.
9. Bing URL Submissions Plugin
Bing URL Submission Plugin for WordPress enables automated submission of URLs from WordPress sites to the Bing index. Once installed and configured with an API key obtained from Bing Webmaster portal, the plugin detects page creation/update in WordPress and automatically submits the URL behind the scenes ensuring that the site pages are always fresh in the Bing index.
- Yes, some people still search with Bing
- Bing Webmaster Tools has had an excellent makeover in the last few weeks, with direct import from Google Search Console
- This plugin will automatically notify Bing of added or updated content in WordPress
- Easy to set up: add site to BWT, generate an API key and paste it in the plugin
10. WC Place Order Without Payment This Month’s Featured WooCommerce Add-on
WC Place Order Without Payment will allow users to place orders directly. This plugin will customize checkout page and offers to direct place order without payment. After Installing this plugin, Payment system will be removed from checkout page of WooCommerce and users can directly place order without payment.
- Why in the world would you want to have a WooCommerce site without payment? Three times in the last 2 months I’ve had conversations about just that.
- Simply activate this plugin and it disables payment completely and autocomplete all orders.
- Customer and business each get the standard WooCommerce emails you define.
11. Display Live Visitors & Counter
Show how many users are online on your WordPress site. Usage and customization possibilities are endless!
- Adds a customizable widget that shows who is currently online.
- Customize text with smart tags to show totals, names, and even gravatars.
- Also adds a Dashboard widget for the admin area with who’s online information.
- Excellent addition for a membership site.
12. HappyFiles – WordPress Media Categories
Organize your entire media library via drag & drop in nestable categories. Arrange thousands of files as you would do on your computer. Create, rename, delete, and nest your categories to your liking. Drag and drop your files (image, audio, video, etc.) individually or in bulk into any category/sub-category or move file(s) between categories.
- Categories work in the Media Library and when adding media in the classic editor or Gutenberg
- Also integrates with photo modules from the most popular page builders like Beaver Builder, Elementor, Divi, etc.
- Images can be set to one category only or multiple categories.
- Pro version is an inexpensive one-time payment for unlimited sites, however, the https://happyfiles.io website is currently down.
Check out the entire series of monthly WordPress Plugin Roundup posts here & register for the next Plugin Roundup webinar here.
Kristen has been writing tutorials to help WordPress users since 2011. You can usually find her working on new articles for the iThemes blog or developing resources for #WPprosper. Outside of work, Kristen enjoys journaling (she’s written two books!), hiking and camping, cooking, and daily adventures with her family, hoping to live a more present life.