Better, More Convenient, Private Support for Your iThemes Products Is Here.

We're moving support away from the forum and in to private tickets - Log In to Get Support Here

Note: any currently open support threads in the community forum will stay open while we resolve them.

Server Buddy Warnings, Will Backup Buddy Work?

backup buddy server buddy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_James_*

Guest_James_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi...Am interested in buying Backup Buddy and I have tried to learn if it will work for my site/server by using Server Buddy. I have a number of warnings displaying on Server Buddy and little technical knowledge so dont know what the impact/conseqence is,

The warnings I have got are:
  • File Permissions: values are all 0777
  • Zip Methods: ziparchive, pcl zip
  • Operating system: WINNT
Perhaps someone could advise:

1) Will Backup Buddy work fully even though I see these warnings?
2) If I need to action any of the above warnings, what is the process involved?
Thanks for any help!!

p.s I am not using C panel if this makes any difference? (am using phpmyadmin control panel)

#2 Dustin Akers

Dustin Akers

• Moderators
  • Others: All Plugins, All Themes
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi James,

Permissions can work like that, the reason 777 shows as a warning is because those permissions are bit more open than necessary. 755 is the recommended as that gives high enough access that BackupBuddy needs and not being as "loose" that 777 is. Permissions can be set in FTP though some hosts restrict some places you can change permissions yourself so for this can ask host about.

Windows servers can work with BackupBuddy, Linux servers are preferred but not required. Something on Windows servers that can help when using them is getting the zip.exe set up. Without it then BackupBuddy tries to run in compatibility mode which happens to be the other warning you got. BackupBuddy can work using the slower zip methods but not preferred as the bigger the site is then the more likely it runs into an issue with it. Getting the zip.exe set up on the server should let BackupBuddy run in the faster mode so that is good. Most likely will need to ask host to help set up the zip.exe as just putting the file in the web root isn't quite enough for most places, the server needs to be told to look for the zip.exe and to use as it won't be default if just uploading the file to the site.

So yes, BackupBuddy can work on your site as long as the site is not really really large. Getting command line zip will really help though.

Thanks,
-Akers
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to post your questions in the correct forum and don't forget about the new and improved search function located in the top right of the forum pages. The gear/wheel symbol next to the search box will give you more options for advanced searching. Thank you and have a nice day.
PRAISE LORD HELIX

Better, More Convenient, Private Support for Your iThemes Products Is Here.

We're moving support away from the forum and in to private tickets - Log In to Get Support Here

Note: any currently open support threads in the community forum will stay open while we resolve them.