When you set out to learn WordPress, it can be difficult to know where to start. It’s easy to learn WordPress, but having the right tools to guide you makes the learning process even easier.
In this post, we’ll cover a few online tutorials, videos, ebooks, and blogs to help you learn WordPress.
Tutorials to Help You Learn WordPress
WordPress is a free content management system (CMS) that allows you to easily create custom websites. WordPress started in 2003 and is now the largest self-hosted blogging tool and is used by, literally, millions of sites worldwide.
This tutorial gives you an overview of what WordPress actually is, what you can do with it and where you can find it.
- WordPress is an online, open source website creation tool (CMS) written in PHP.
- WordPress is the most flexible and powerful blogging and website content management system (CMS) in existence today.
If you’re new to WordPress, the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org might be confusing. This tutorial gives you an overview of the differences:
- WordPress.org is where you can download the free WordPress software to run your own website or blog
- WordPress.com is where you can set up a hosted blog
The WordPress Dashboard is where you control all the settings of your site. This tutorial helps guide you through the various aspects of using your WordPress dashboard.
Posts and Pages in WordPress are the foundations for creating your site’s content. But what is the difference between them and which should you use when? This tutorial covers the differences of WordPress Posts vs Pages and offers suggestions as to which one to use based on the content type.
- WordPress Pages – Used for static content that isn’t time-based (or ordered by date published) Examples: Home Page, About Page, Contact Page.
- WordPress Posts – The content that makes up the built-in blog portion of your WordPress site. These are time-based and usually listed in reverse-chronological order.
When you set out to learn WordPress, one of the most important things to learn is how to create a post. This tutorial video covers how to create your first post, your different options for creating your content and how to publish.
People tend to be visual, so having images on your WordPress site is important. This tutorial will teach you how to add images to the content of your site.
Categories and tags are a great way to organize your content. This video covers the differences between the two and how to use them.
Much like your posts, pages allow you to create content for your WordPress site. So when you begin to learn WordPress, learning to create pages is vitally important. This tutorial covers creating pages in WordPress.
Plugins can add additional functionality to your site, from social media sharing to image slideshows. This video explains how to add plugins to your site.
While plugins add functionality to your site, themes add styling, or the way your WordPress site looks and feels. Once you’ve selected your theme, you’ll need to install it on your site. This tutorial describes exactly how to do that.
More WordPress Tutorials For Learning WordPress.
There are more than 20 tutorials in this series to cover all the details you need to get started.
- Your WordPress Login
- Using the WordPress Admin Bar
- Exploring WordPress Settings
- Adding Links in WordPress
- Using the WordPress Media Library
- Formatting WordPress Posts
- Scheduling WordPress Posts
- Applying a WordPress Page Template
- What are WordPress Plugins?
- What is a WordPress Theme?
- Using WordPress Widgets
- Creating a Custom Menu in WordPress
- Managing Comments in WordPress
- Creating Users in WordPress
Each tutorial is only about 3 minutes long, giving you all the information you need in small, digestible bites.
Other Ways to Learn WordPress: Ebooks & Blogs
Getting Started with WordPress is a free WordPress PDF ebook that covers the same topics as those covered by the tutorials listed above, plus recently added chapters covering Search Engine Optimization (SEO) & WordPress and WordPress Security.
Other ebooks on how to learn WordPress include:
- How to Manually Install WordPress
- 11 Things to Do with Every New WordPress Install
- How to Pick a WordPress Theme
For a full list of our ebooks, check out these free WordPress ebooks.
There are many WordPress-specific blogs available that will provide you with tips and tricks for learning WordPress. For instance, we have a category on the iThemes blog specifically for WordPress tutorials.
These blogs typically cover a wide range of topics in order to address the varied needs of running a WordPress site. For instance, an integral part of running a website, WordPress or otherwise, is how to backup a WordPress site.
Check out this post on how to learn WordPress for a list of more WordPress blogs to follow.
Seven Blogs for WordPress Beginners
- WPBeginner Blog
- Elegant Themes
- The Tao of WordPress
- The WordPress Visual Quickstart Guide
- WordPress codex
Professional WordPress Training
iThemes Training has a library of 800+ hours of WordPress training videos. If you are just starting to learn WordPress, iThemes Training has a wealth of knowledge covering topics from building a WordPress ecommerce site to the WordPress Developer Course.