Getting started with WordPress is easy. This handbook for beginners offers an introduction to WordPress, the amazing open-source website platform. You’ll learn the benefits of using WordPress, as well as step-by-step instructions for getting familiar with the WordPress Dashboard. You’ll also learn about WordPress themes and plugins, how to create your first post or page, and optimize your site for search engines—all with helpful links to video tutorials.
New & expanded for WordPress 4.3+
- What Is WordPress?
- WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org
- Getting Started
- Your WordPress Login
- Exploring the WordPress Dashboard
- Using the WordPress Admin Bar
- Exploring WordPress Settings
- WordPress Posts vs. Pages
- Creating a WordPress Post
- Adding Links in WordPress
- Adding Images to Posts & Pages
- Using the WordPress Media Library
- Formatting WordPress Posts
- Scheduling WordPress Posts
- WordPress Categories & Tags
- Creating a WordPress Page
- Applying a WordPress Page Template
- What are WordPress Plugins?
- Installing WordPress Plugins
- What is a WordPress Theme?
- How to Install a WordPress Theme
- Using WordPress Widgets
- Creating a Custom Menu in WordPress
- Managing Comments in WordPress
- Creating Users in WordPress
- New! Search Engine Optimization (SEO) & WordPress
- New! WordPress Security
Kristen has been writing tutorials to help WordPress users since 2011. You can usually find her working on new articles for the iThemes blog or developing resources for #WPprosper. Outside of work, Kristen enjoys journaling (she’s written two books!), hiking and camping, cooking, and daily adventures with her family, hoping to live a more present life.