In this post, we recap the newest cool and useful (oh, and free!) WordPress plugins added to the WordPress Plugin Directory. This roundup includes everything from a way to check the accessibility of your website to a quick way to rename your media files to improve your SEO.
1. wA11y – The Web Accessibility Toolbox
By Rachel Cherry
The wA11y plugin provides a toolbox of resources to help you improve the accessibility of your WordPress website.
- Fantastic little plugin for evaluating the accessibility of a website.
- Provides an integration with the Tota11y and WAVE accessibility tools.
- Note: Turn off the admin bar on the front end or you’ll get a bunch of “Link Text is Unclear” errors from Tota11y.
2. weForms – Best Contact Form Plugin for WordPress
The weForms plugin is a new form plugin with breakthrough performance. And it’s more than a contact form maker. weForms is an all-in-one form builder created with the general users in mind. Its minimalistic design is not only modern but also super fast and user-friendly. Everything works on a single page.
- A new plugin with a very optimistic title.
- Very simple to create and modify settings for forms … the form starter templates are a nice touch.
- Several useful integrations but the best require a Pro license which is aggressively priced.
- All in all, not a bad plugin for basic forms, but don’t give up your Gravity Forms license just yet.
3. Word’s Content
By Karthik Thayyil
The Words Content plugin helps you mark any word in your post and add some engaging content to it.
- From within the backend interface, define a word or phrase and enter more information in the provided visual editor.
- Use links and media in the details too!
- Once entered, every occurrence of that word or phrase on the front end will be clickable to display the additional info.
- This could be an incredibly useful plugin for sites with a lot of technical jargon that needs more explanation for users.
- Could also be useful for creating clickable profiles from names or products. Lots of creative applications could be found!
4. Who’s Logged In
By Ben HartLenn
Install and activate the Who’s Logged In plugin and it will start collecting a list of users logged into your website. When a user logs in they are added to the list, and when a user logs out, they are removed from the list. The list of logged in users is displayed to administrator users only on their dashboard homepage in a simple metabox. The list displayed is automatically updated every 5 seconds to ensure you know who is logged in and out of your website within seconds.
- Creates a metabox listing logged in users on the WordPress dashboard for Administrators only.
- List refreshes every 5 seconds.
- Note: If someone closes their browser, they are still technically logged in and will show up on the list for a time.
5. Avatar Project
It’s great when a comment author has taken the time to upload a custom image on their Gravatar account, but as we all know only a handful of people actually do that. This means that your precious comment area ends up filled with no-face, gray avatar thumbnails that look plane boring. Well, that ends here with the Avatar Project plugin.
- Replaces the dull “Mystery Man” avatar with your choice of avatar styles.
- Pick from human portraits, illustrations, coffee cups or cats.
- Nice addition to a comment-heavy site.
6. Call Now Button Ultimate
Never miss a potential customer or prospect again by allowing them to instantly call or email you. The Call now Button Ultimate plugin places a customizable button on the bottom of your pages (when viewed on a mobile device) that allows a visitor to call or email you right from their phone.
- Simple to set up and use. When the screen size hits the responsive breakpoint (which appears to be 800 px), the button appears.
- Enter business hours in the plugin settings. During business hours, a Call Us button appears. Outside business hours, an Email Us button appears.
- Customize button and text color simply.
7. Cron Logger
By Palasthotel (Edward Bock)
Have you ever wonderd what you WordPress is doing in wp-cron.php? Now you can see it. The Cron Logger plugin plugin logs every schedule.
- Find Cron Logger at Tools > Cron Log
- View exactly what’s happening behind the scenes in your WordPress site.
8. Instant Images – One Click Unsplash Uploads
By Darren Cooney
The Instant Images – One Click Unsplash Uploads plugin is the fastest and easiest way to upload high quality FREE photos from unsplash.com directly to your media library.
- Install and activate and find an “Instant Images” submenu under Media.
- Search the Unsplash free stock libray and download images to your Media Library.
- Works very well from the Media Library and adding an image to a post via the “Instant Images” button.
- Unfortunately, cannot be accessed from the add featured image process.
- Downloaded image size can be adjusted by clicking the settings icon.
9. Phoenix Media Rename
With the Phoenix Media Rename plugin, you can improve your SEO by renaming your media files with the “Phoenix Media Rename” plugin.
- Adds a very quick interface to the media library list to rename your media files.
- Enter a new name for the media file and choose rename or rename & retitle.
- Rename changes the file name of the image.
- Rename & Retitle changes the file name and the WordPress title of the image.
- Renaming also updates the filename wherever it’s used on the website. Nifty!
By The Ninja Technologies Network
The NinjaScanner plugin is a lightweight, fast and powerful antivirus scanner for WordPress which includes many features to help you scan your blog for malware and viruses.
- A very useful tool to scan your website for malware.
- Works quickly – performed a full scan of wpnathan.com in about a minute.
- Could be more accurate than external scanners (like Sucuri’s free scanner) since it’s able to access website files as a plugin.
- Scheduled scans require the premium version.
11. Hello Stranger Things This Month’s Hello Dolly Replacement
By Iakovos Frountas
The Hello Stranger Things plugin is a fun alternative plugin of Holly Dolly. It takes all the fun of Stranger Things Series!
- Great quotes from a fantastic TV show.
- Doesn’t turn your website “upside down.”
- Maybe should have been called Hello Eleven or maybe He11o.