Each month’s WordPress Plugin Roundup recaps the best WordPress plugins that were added or updated within the last 30 days on the WordPress Plugin Directory.
1. Pre-Publish Checklist
Is the fear of publishing an incomplete post haunting you already? Do you get worried about tasks like adding a featured image, updating the permalink, etc. just when you are about to click the publish button? All of this is handled with an easy to use Pre-Publish Checklist plugin that lets you create a checklist you wish to maintain for every post type on your website. You can build a checklist with necessary tasks and prioritize them by placing them in the required order.
- A very useful plugin for sites with a publishing process or multiple authors/editors.
- Can prevent publishing or just warn if all required items are not checked.
- A well-designed plugin from Brainstorm, the makers of Astra and Ultimate Add-ons
2. WP Instant Feeds
Embedding your feed from your Instagram easily with WP Instant Feeds.
- A very nice and simple Instagram feed for WordPress.
- Does not require an access token, just the Instagram username.
- Shortcode-based with lots of customization parameters (see plugin page for list).
3. Podcast Player
An easy way to show and play your podcast episodes using podcasting feed url. It is a must have plugin for your podcast website. Give your listeners an easy access to all your episodes from any page or even from all the pages of your website.
- A simple way to add a podcast player to your website.
- Can be connected to any podcast RSS feed.
- Add via widget or shortcode anywhere on your WordPress site you want – or feature multiple podcasts on a single page!
AnyComment is a blazing-fast commenting plugin base on React for WordPress. It stands for simplicity & speed.
- One of the nicest replacements for the standard WordPress commenting system I’ve seen to date.
- Super easy integration with basic features and a nice UI.
- Easy to enable commenting from social networks with App IDs.
5. Images to Posts
Easily batch upload images after an event, gig, exhibition, wedding etc., creating individual posts. Simply drag and drop your images and posts will automatically be created with post titles, featured images and the other options you’ve selected.
- Clever little tool that automatically creates posts and sets the featured image when you upload an image.
- Can be used to create pages and posts in custom post types (like products!)
- Several configurable options that could make this tool a really powerful asset.
6. Different Menu in Different Pages – Control Menu Visibility
Set different menus for different users, pages, posts, page templates, post types, categories, devices etc.
- Provides lots of conditional options you can use to change which menu is displayed.
- Has a duplicate menu feature to make tweaking existing menus a little easier.
- Location and device based changes require the pro version.
7. Page Builder Gutenberg Blocks – Kioken Blocks This Month’s Featured Gutenberg Block
Kioken Blocks is a fantastic suite of advanced Gutenberg Blocks that will maximize your productivity and creative freedom. It takes only a couple minutes to create a beautiful, responsive website with Kioken Blocks.
- Maybe the best set of Gutenberg blocks yet (have I said this already?)
- Library of pre-made designs set this one head and shoulders above the rest
- Page builders are still superior, but this one shows what the future of Gutenberg can look like. Wow!
8. Advanced Dynamic Pricing for WooCommerce This Month’s Featured WooCommerce Add-on #1
This plugin helps you quickly set discounts and pricing rules for your WooCommerce store. Set up any kind of discount or dynamic pricing you like, and activate/deactivate rules as needed.
- Extremely powerful tool for pricing WooCommerce products.
- Virtually unlimited options for discounting based on everything from day of the week to role of the user.
9. WooCommerce Cart Abandonment Recovery This Month’s Featured WooCommerce Add-on #2
Research shows about 60% to 80% of the users who go to the checkout page, do not complete their purchase. WooCommerce Cart Abandonment Recovery offers everything you need to recover your abandoned carts. The plugin captures the email address of users on the checkout page. If the purchase is not completed within 15 minutes, it starts sending an automated series of follow up emails that you can customize to match your brand.
- Lots of features for a free plugin, offered as a gift to the WooCommerce community from CartFlows.
- Use the default email sequence or customize it as much as you want.
- Make sure you’re using a transactional email plugin when you’re implementing any system like this one!
The Funniest Plugins from Five Years of Roundups
In the early days of the iThemes Training, there were lots of funny plugins added to the plugin directory by developers with a great sense of humor. Alas, these are now few and far between. But here are a few classics …
10. Son of Clippy
Add “fun” animated characters to your WordPress edit screens!
- Take your clients back to Office 95 with this happy little addition to their post/page editor.
11. Papyrus Me!
Papyrus Me! replaces all of the fonts on your site with Papyrus font. (Note: this plugin is for entertainment purposes only.)
- Ah Papyrus, coooool…
A scroll-to-top solution to musically soothing your visitors while being smoothly scrolled to the top of their screen. Based on the brilliant script Elevator.js. How can you resist the familiar notes and smooth ride we’ve all come to expect on a quality elevator ride?
- This one is really UP LIFTING. See what I did there?
13. Air Horn
This plugin plays an air horn when you login, and adds an air horn button to the WordPress toolbar.
- Helpful for scaring the bejeepers out of your clients.
- Potentially decent April Fools gag.
14. Bug – fly on the screen
This plugin just displays a fly on the screen.
- Plugin claims to be “More useless than Hello Dolly”
- An excellent way to bug people who visit your site.
- Gives a whole new meaning to “debugging WordPress”</li>
- Good luck trying to “swat” it with your mouse!